SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Support From Family and Friends During Difficult Times

• ryan-berhar

May 2, 2019 at 11:46 pm

Dang. Thoughts and prayers to the family.

• deann-r

May 3, 2019 at 9:42 am

As Ryan said, my thoughts and prayers are with them. Their situation kind of reminds me of when I was younger although our situation much less severe. My Mom had injured her back and couldn’t do my cares. I was a little bit older than Ella, and wasn’t as comfortable having Dad do my personal cares, so that was the first time we had outside help come in. I think initially it was weird for all of us having a stranger coming into the home, but in the long run it really helped Mom recover. It also gave me more conference as I got older that I could direct caregivers with my cares as I headed to college. Of course every situation is unique, but I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to Michael to enlist outside help if it gets to be overwhelming for them.

• halsey-blocher

May 7, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Oh gracious! Prayers for the best possible outcome and pain relief! I agree with DeAnn. It may be wise to look into hiring some aids to help Ella so that her care is not dependent on one person. It can too much for one person to take on the entirety of their child’s care, and the exhaustion can impact you’re ability to care for that person. Having additional caregivers isn’t always fun, but everyone needs a break.