• Tattoo Shop Update

Posted by brianna-albers on January 30, 2019 at 11:00 am

I checked out the tattoo shop I posted about last week and have some good news—I think I’ll be able to make it work! There are two small steps to get into the building itself and three larger steps to get up onto the main floor, both of which I can circumvent using my portable ramp. So we’re moving ahead!

I’m relieved I’ll get to stay in my power chair. I could’ve made do with my manual chair, but I think we all know how uncomfortable it is to sit in a chair that isn’t your “regular” one for long periods of time. I like to think I have a fairly high pain tolerance, but since this is my first tattoo, being in my regular chair will be an added bonus.

I know some of you have tattoos, so I’d appreciate any tips or advice. I’m nervous but excited more than anything. Not long to go now!

brianna-albers replied 5 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • deann-r

January 30, 2019 at 11:53 am

Glad it sounds like it’ll work out.  I have two tattoos, one on my wrist and one on my forearm.  Pain correlates to where you’re getting it I think.  Do you have a spot picked out?  For me it wasn’t really painful, more like an aggravation.  Kind of like a constant rug-burn.  One tip is to maybe have someone with you that could help with your positioning if needed.  Also speak up if you have concerns at all.  I had the artist make a couple design changes before we got started.  Keep us posted!

• brianna-albers

February 1, 2019 at 4:40 pm

Thanks for the tips! I initially wanted a wrist tattoo but was advised by medical professionals not to, as the one vein I generally count on for blood draws/IVs is on the inside of my left wrist. I’ve also decided to get a second tattoo, just a small red band around a finger like a ring – matching tattoos with my best friend!

• ryan-berhar-2

January 30, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I don’t necessarily have any SMA related advice, but I think it’s super important to always look at a portfolio of the artist you’re considering. Sounds like you’re prepared in that regard though. I have two tattoos, a cross with clouds and rays around it (essentially one big one). For whatever reason, the clouds hurt significantly worse than the cross. Pain varies a lot.

• brianna-albers

February 1, 2019 at 4:40 pm

Good to know! I’m prepared for some pain but am hoping it won’t be too bad 😂

• halsey-blocher

January 30, 2019 at 9:46 pm

If you have a high pain tolerance, I doubt you will find it painful. I also have a high pain tolerance and find the sensation more annoying than anything. After a while you don’t really notice, but it does feel a bit like a sun burn for a while afterwards. I have a bit of a fear of needles so I found it helped not to watch. I did however look at every time he stopped to fill the ink or switch colors to watch the progress.

• brianna-albers

February 1, 2019 at 4:41 pm

That’s good to hear! I’m generally fine with needles so long as they’re nowhere near my nose, so fingers crossed!