SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Tell Us Something GOOD!

• Tell Us Something GOOD!

Posted by alyssa-silva on March 23, 2020 at 7:00 am

Last week, I asked my Instagram friends to share something good with me. With all this fear and uncertainty most of us are feeling, I just needed to hear good news for a change.

And people really came through! I enjoyed reading each of their responses.

They weren’t life-changing events or front-page news. Just simple tidbits of joy in their lives that made them smile. It was truly heart-warming to read and, in turn, put a smile on my face.

I wholeheartedly believe we are capable of lifting each other up with our words. So, with that, I wanna know!

What’s something good right now in your life?

For me, I just discovered some free online classes on entrepreneurship and signed up. I went to business school, and starting a business has always been a dream of mine. Could this be the start of something exciting to come??

deann-r replied 4 years ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • halsey-blocher

March 23, 2020 at 10:03 pm

I love the idea of gathering the good things to share, and I loved reading the responses you got! Luckily, I had a really good thing happen today. As you know, the fundraiser I was working on had to be cancelled, but we were able to convert part of it to an online auction. Today was the last day for it, and we ended up raising nearly twenty thousand dollars! This was far more than we were expecting, and it is such a blessing! It warms my heart to see so many people working together to support such a wonderful organization. Best of luck on your classes! I hope you learn lots of useful things that you can apply to creating your own business!

• alyssa-silva

March 24, 2020 at 10:12 am

$20,000!!!??? That is truly incredible. Congratulations girl!!

• survivinglife

March 26, 2020 at 7:03 pm

Wow that’s incredible Halsey!
    Mine is a bit more personal. The one good thing about the Coronavirus for me is that I get to see my bro sooner than we originally thought. My bro, Nick, is my best friend and he’s in college right now. Or at least he was. Now he’s home due to the Coronavirus. Anyway, we both struggle with depression and we go to each other to feel better. And lately our depression has been really bad. To the point where we will call or message each other in the middle of the night and sometimes even cry on the phone. But since he’s home it’s a little better. Even just sitting there doing nothing with each other helps. And the other day we played a few games of chess. It was good exercise for me, but while we played I was struck with how lucky I am to have him. He’s so patient and kind and non judgemental. I kept accidentally knocking over the pieces. Most people I play games with will jump to fix the pieces for me, and I hate that cuz 1. I want to try to do it myself cuz it’s good exercise and makes me feel better about myself and 2. I then feel the need to thank them and then I end up saying thank you so many times that I start cringing every time I have to. But Nick would just patiently watch me fix the pieces myself, unless he saw me really struggling. Then he’d help me. Plus, I’m not good at chess at all. I enjoy it but I suck at it. But he’s really smart and has a great memory so he would stop the game and help me understand the best moves and then put the pieces right back to how they were. And I didn’t feel like an idiot or like he was judging me or was annoyed with me or anything. Compared to my other brothers…well let’s just say I’m not used to his kind of kindness and such. I’m very grateful to have him as my brother and I’m glad he’s home even if the reason sucks.
    What kind of business would you start if you could?

• halsey-blocher

March 26, 2020 at 9:34 pm

Crystal, that’s awesome that you’re so close to your brother! It’s great to have someone that you connect with like that.

• alyssa-silva

March 27, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Crystal, I too have a close relationship with my brother! I’m so happy you have him to make this isolation a little less isolating. My brother is an essential worker and it’s been so hard not being able to see him. But, today his boss decided he can work from home now, so hopefully, I can see him soon! We’ll probably give it 14 days just in case.

I have a million ideas for starting a business haha, but it’d probably have to do with my favorite thing in the world: coffee. 🙂

• deann-r

March 27, 2020 at 3:07 pm

When I was younger I wanted to open a coffee shop bookstore.