• Thanksgiving Recap

Posted by kevin-schaefer on November 26, 2018 at 7:00 am

For those of you who celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope you all had a great holiday weekend. I know that for me, it was nice to have some time to relax with family and time away from work to recharge. While I did end up using the time I had on Friday at home to get ahead on some work, it was nice to not have to rush. I did a lot of my own writing as well, but that doesn’t really feel like work to me.

As I mentioned in another post, my Mom got me up and ready in the morning on both Friday and Saturday. My Mom rarely takes care of my morning routine, but we gave my caregiver time off on Thursday and Friday, and my Dad has to work extra during the holidays. It’s peak season at UPS. Though it had been a while since my Mom had handled this part of my care, it went quite smoothly. She has to use our lift to transfer me, but as I’ve mentioned multiple times before we love the ceiling lift. It saves us a ton of space in my bedroom and bathroom, and it’s pretty easy to get me in and out of the sling that attaches to the lift. I also like how it makes it easier to land me in a good position both on my bathroom seat and in my bed. It’s hard to explain in writing, but it’s just designed well and it’s easy for my parents and caregivers to adjust me in it. Like DeAnn said in another post here, I’m not particularly fond of training new people how to use it, but it’s great once you get used to it.

Since we were with family all day Thursday, it was nice to relax at home on Friday. I got a good amount of writing done, read comics and watched TV. I did more of that on Saturday, but I also got out with a friend to see a movie then. We had to deal with some pretty heavy rain on the way to the theater, but it helped that I had my poncho with me. That thing is great for when it’s cold and rainy, and it really helps keep my chair from getting too wet.

On Sunday, my regular podcast co-host Rich and I recorded a three-hour episode with my good friend Jacob. And yes, we talked for that long about DC comics, Doctor Who, Star Wars, our recent adventures at NC Comicon and the new Harry Potter spin-off movie. Yeah, we’re hardcore nerds. Then I went with Jacob to dinner after we finally got done recording. Between hanging out with friends, podcasting, reading comics, watching movies, listening to movie soundtracks and finishing a comic script, that’s my idea of a perfect weekend.

This week I have water therapy and several regular doctor appointments on top of work, so I’m glad I was able to relax over the long weekend. Hope you all have a great week! And to our new members here, welcome!

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

November 26, 2018 at 9:29 am

On to the next holiday!

• kevin-schaefer

November 26, 2018 at 1:34 pm

Indeed! My Mom put up Christmas decorations the day after thanksgiving haha.