SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA The Dreaded Delta Variant

• The Dreaded Delta Variant

Posted by alyssa-silva on August 12, 2021 at 11:00 am

How’s everyone holding up with COVID-19 cases on the rise again? I’m feeling a little discouraged, to tell you the truth. At the beginning of the summer, I really thought we were on the right path, but with this delta variant and everyone so divided on the whole pandemic situation, I’m not so sure.

Are you back to taking more precautions? I’m really at a loss on what to do. I’m vaccinated, but it seems as though that may not be enough right now. Then, there’s all this buzz about a booster shot. I guess I’m just having a hard time trying to make a decision on what is best for my health!

deann-r replied 2 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • aimee

August 12, 2021 at 11:17 am

As an SMA parent, I am feeling so discouraged too!  I was finally starting to feel better about things, especially seeing that kids seemed less likely to develop severe symptoms from covid.  Now the new variant is supposedly way worse on children? ???? I did go ahead and put my non-SMA son in school this year.  Although it opens us up to exposure, I really felt like his mental health (and mine) have suffered so much this past year, as I know has been the case for a lot of people. I have tried to weigh that into our decision making. I hope everyone stays healthy and is able to feel good about the decisions you all make for your own health needs!

• deann-r

August 13, 2021 at 9:57 am

It’s so frustrating not knowing how cautious we need to be. I was just starting to do a few more things but now I don’t know if that’s really safe. Around here it seems like people have COVID fatigue and don’t care to take precautions anymore. Many I hear say, it’s just like the flu or a bad cold. Yes, that may be the case for some but not for all. The news is so contradictory too. One story talks about COVID surge and the next talks about how the State Fair is back.