SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Disability in Media The First Thing About You: novel about a kid with SMA

Tagged: ,

• The First Thing About You: novel about a kid with SMA

Posted by blake-watson on December 5, 2022 at 5:40 pm

I read The First Thing About You recently and really enjoyed it.

It’s a YA romantic comedy about a kid with SMA. Not my usual genre but I was so excited to read about a character with SMA that I didn’t care. It’s a fun, cute story and portrayed SMA accurately in my opinion.

I wrote a review of it but it has a few spoilers.

I’m curious what folks think about this novel.

mike-b replied 1 year, 4 months ago 7 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

December 5, 2022 at 5:45 pm

This is awesome! Definitely going to add it to my reading list. It would be kind of cool if we got several members here to all read it at the same time so we could discuss it together! Our very own book club if you will.

• blake-watson

December 5, 2022 at 5:53 pm

Speaking of which I’m gonna need you SMA News Today peeps to organize a Zoom meetup! I miss those ones by CureSMA the last couple of years. Halsey and DeAnn were in some of those and were good unofficial facilitators, so I nominate them to run these. ????

• deann-r

December 6, 2022 at 8:51 am

I’ve been pushing for it Blake. Haven’t gotten an official go ahead yet. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Definitely not a Zoom expert but I’d give it a go.
        Halsey’s the best. We’d have a lot of fun for sure.

• robin-c

December 6, 2022 at 11:59 am

I’ve missed the Zoom meetings, too. I’ve bugged my Biogen FAM to mention it to his bosses. My FAM then said he *thought* those might be resuming…but so far crickets.

• deann-r

December 6, 2022 at 8:41 am

I nominate this book for January Book Club! Sounds like a good month to start one right?
    Since Blake has read it maybe he can lead the discussion. Who’s in?

• kevin-schaefer

December 6, 2022 at 8:56 am

I loved the book! I actually just had the author, Chaz, on the podcast. Listen here.

• blake-watson

December 6, 2022 at 12:04 pm

Wuuuut… definitely gonna check this out.

• micaela-macdougall

December 6, 2022 at 6:56 pm

I’m totally in for any book clubs or Zoom meetups!

• alyssa-silva

December 6, 2022 at 7:11 pm

Yes Blake! DeAnn and I have been pushing for Zoom meetups! But book clubs sound fun too. Especially in the doldrums of winter and cold and flu season. It’ll be nice to have something to entertain us. ????

• blake-watson

December 6, 2022 at 8:09 pm

Yeah sounds awesome. Yall just let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.

• mike-b

December 7, 2022 at 6:47 pm

I recently purchased The First Thing About You and would participate in any group discussions via forum thread or zoom. Good review Blake. I’m looking forward to listening to Kevin’s podcast with the author.