SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Thinking About Mortality

• Thinking About Mortality

Posted by alyssa-silva on May 31, 2022 at 11:33 am

In her most recent column, Halsey talked about a topic that’s beautiful and heartbreaking all at once: mortality. SMA has forced us to face mortality from a young age which has its benefits and drawbacks. We have had no other choice but to grapple with loss early on in life. We witnessed shortened life expectancies of our loved ones. We questioned mortality in our own lives. And yet we learned the value of the gift of life and friendship because of it.

What did you think about the points raised in Halsey’s column? Has living with SMA affected your views on mortality?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 10 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

June 2, 2022 at 10:22 am

Gosh, this is certainly a heavy topic.  Honestly I never expected to outlive my parents.  When Dad passed away it was a real shock.  Sometimes I joke with Mom it’s  a crap shoot who will outlive who between us.  It does make some aspects of future estate planning difficult though.

It is tough losing friends.  I was just thinking how I’ve missed Kelly’s input on these conversations.  I could make a list of those lost, but I’ll just hold on to them as bright spots in my life.  Looking back I can appreciate how much those individuals no longer with us have enriched my life.  I hope to do the same someday.  Just not anytime soon.

• alyssa-silva

June 2, 2022 at 5:17 pm

I know. I miss chatting with her too.