SMA News Forums Forums Life Advice and Transitions College Students Tips For Freshman Orientation

• Tips For Freshman Orientation

Posted by kevin-schaefer on July 19, 2018 at 9:00 am

For incoming college freshman, it’s orientation season. Though it’s been six years since my freshman orientation, I wanted to share a few tips based on what I remember. I had a great college experience, and while having SMA certainly made it challenging, the times I had and lifelong friendships I made were well worth the additional effort.

For orientation, the first thing you want to do is use it as an opportunity to familiarize yourself with your college campus. Figure out which areas are most accessible, and which ones aren’t. The more you can get used to the campus when there aren’t thousands of people around, the better.

Second, meet some people while you’re at orientation. Granted, there were a lot of people who I met at orientation and never really saw the rest of my college career (this is pretty typical), but there were a few good friends I made that week. Most of my friends I made once I got into my major and joined campus organizations, but orientation is a good opportunity to step outside your comfort zone and get to know some other students.

Third, start to explore some student organizations during orientation. I’ve said before that I’m a huge advocate for getting involved in campus life while you’re a student, and orientation week is a great place to start. You will be bombarded with membership requests that first week, but it’s good to start thinking about what clubs and organizations interest you the most and check those out. The connections you make there could very well turn into lifelong friendships. I’ve even met caregivers through student organizations I joined in college. Start exploring your passions now.

Orientation may sound like a boring endeavor, but if you take advantage of it it can really be foundational to your college career.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • deann-r

August 15, 2018 at 11:18 am

Great tips!  Definitely familiarizing yourself with campus is important.  I remember struggling to find elevators to get me where I needed to be.  After going up an elevator I was almost in tears because I had no idea where I was.

Also, during orientation don’t forget to have fun!  We had lots of entertainment from comedians to concerts that first week.  It’s easier to make friends with people who enjoy the same activities.  Plus you don’t have to worry about assignments just yet.

• kevin-schaefer

August 24, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Ah yes, elevator hassles are fun. The older buildings are especially troublesome, as the elevators can be difficult to find.

And absolutely. Enjoy that time when campus is full of energy and there are no assignments yet.

• david-z

August 24, 2018 at 8:41 am

After you get your schedule but before classes start, it’s a good idea to visit the classroom for each of your classes, to scout out routes to, seating in, etc.

• kevin-schaefer

August 24, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Absolutely. Great tip David.