SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA To Travel or Not to Travel: “Vacationing With SMA as Your Travel Companion”

• To Travel or Not to Travel: “Vacationing With SMA as Your Travel Companion”

Posted by deann-r on September 30, 2021 at 8:00 am

Over the years I’ve found traveling to be increasingly difficult. That’s why I stick to short day trips. I love hearing about others adventures though and the tips they have for making travel easier. That’s why I thought I’d share with you Halsey Blocher’s latest column with you, “Vacationing With SMA as Your Travel Companion.” Her family recently traveled to Florida on vacation. She shares what they do to make traveling as easy as possible while still enjoyable. After reading this article it makes me want to know, what makes traveling easier for you? Or, like me, do you find it not worth the added hassle.

tammy replied 2 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

October 3, 2021 at 10:46 am

My traveling experiences are very similar to Haley’s. Lots of planning, checklists, and communication go into making traveling more seamless. I wouldn’t say it’s easy though. I guess it depends on the destination, but these days I’d much rather prefer something nearby and low-key if I wanted to get away.

• tammy

October 3, 2021 at 12:09 pm

For me I feel like it’s gotten worse as the years have gone by because(and you can tell me if you agree with this or not), I feel like our wheelchairs have gotten a lot more fragile then they used to be when I was younger. Those older things could take a beating and keep going with no problems. My current chair I feel like is so fragile and the wiring sticks out in the back compared to the older chairs where all the wiring was underneath and kind of more protected. And things break off easily. But before that it was still a risk that I chose to take anyway but there were definitely some airport breakages along the way but nothing too serious. And it was fixable. Once the covid crap starts to slow down a little bit more I’ve made a promise to myself to get back into traveling again. And not letting my chair hold me back. Before I got the chair I’m in now, I had been all over the place including Spain and France. But then I got my new chair and have not been on a plane since I went to Vegas with a group of friends for the Guns N Roses residency in 2012. Once I get my new chair which I’m already in the process of doing, I plan to visit Dubai. Whenever that will be I don’t know