SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology When Did You Transition to Using a Lift Full-Time?

• When Did You Transition to Using a Lift Full-Time?

Posted by kevin-schaefer on November 24, 2018 at 8:00 am

My Mom became unable to lift me anymore when I was about 19 or so, and as such I use the lift with her anytime she’s taking care of me. She rarely gets me ready in the mornings and mostly helps me during the day, but since it’s December and my Dad works Saturdays this time of year, she helps me when he’s at work and my caregiver is off. My Dad works for UPS, and it’s peak season for them.

My Dad can still lift me, but I feel more comfortable with the lift. I’m trying to get him to use it full-time, but he actually minds the time-consuming aspect more than I do. I’d rather it take a few extra minutes and be secure and comfortable than to have to worry about him having enough energy to lift me properly. I love the ceiling lift, and I’d recommend it for anyone.

Anyway, I was just curious when you all got to a point when you transitioned to using some kind of lift full-time. Also, if you have any questions about the ceiling lift or other electrical ones, feel free to ask.

adnan-hafizovic replied 5 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • deann-r

November 24, 2018 at 9:17 am

It was probably when I was 12 or 13 when we started using the lift I suppose.  My Mom had back issues (in part thanks to me) so just couldn’t lift me.  As a girl I wasn’t comfortable having my Dad lifting me in certain situations.  Believe me, I resisted it as long as possible probably causing my mom undo pain.  Looking back I should’ve accepted it sooner, but I hated every aspect of it.  Eventually I came to the conclusion I could be uncomfortable for a few extra minutes if it prevented my Mom from resenting me.

In the long run that transition has allowed me to become the independent person I am today.  I say that because it’s allowed others to care for me so I didn’t have to exclusively rely on my parents.  I’m still not a fan of the contraption, and training new caregivers to use it is on the verge of miserable.  But it is what it is and sometimes you have to think of others.

My first experience with a ceiling lift was in the hospital. I saw how beneficial it could be.  Since I only use it in my bedroom I’d really like to get one.  I started the process early last summer and really haven’t gotten anywhere.  Was yours covered by insurance or a waiver?  So far I’ve been told Medicare and Medicaid won’t but the waiver should if we can find a provider willing to work with it.

• kevin-schaefer

November 24, 2018 at 3:17 pm

So, I did learn that insurance did not cover my ceiling lift. It had been a while, and I forgot. Policies may have changed since then, but regardless it was a worthwhile investment. My parents, caregivers and I are much more comfortable using it than any other lift we’ve used in the past.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 24, 2018 at 9:58 pm

As most here are probably aware, I’m making this transition now. Working on acquiring a ceiling lift.

• halsey-blocher

November 26, 2018 at 7:52 pm

I started using my hotel lift full time at about 16. I hit a growth spurt around that time and it became more difficult for my nurses to lift me. My parents are still able to easily lift me, but there’s to much risk of nurses hurting themselves or me. We also have had  a few nurses Witt bad backs who wouldn’t otherwise be able to work in our home without the lift.

• kevin-schaefer

November 26, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Yeah, the safety aspect is important. Even if a caregiver is physically capable of lifting, it’s still good to use the lift most of the time.

• adnan-hafizovic

November 27, 2018 at 10:01 am

Lift is big relief for me thing that i can’t imagine my life.

• kevin-schaefer

November 27, 2018 at 10:34 am

It’s huge for sure. Do you have a standard hoyer lift or an electrical one?

• adnan-hafizovic

November 28, 2018 at 4:36 am

I think I wrote ,I use electric lift from ARJO and I’m very satisfied specialy because I have slings who support my head.But I have how to say it,little more strengh,so with help of one person I can use it.