This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kevin Schaefer 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
     DeAnn R 
    Keymaster

I think it’s safe to say Spinraza is changing the face of SMA.  Diagnosis now comes with hope instead of fear.  As I’ve come to learn, the earlier treatment starts the better the chances are to save those neuron connections.  That’s why I believe infant screening is crucial.  Here’s a great article that points this out: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/01/25/sma-expert-arthur-burghes-in-a-speech-in-poland-urges-universal-newborn-screening/

My hope is that every state adopts infant screening.  I’d love to know if you agree with me on this, or even if you disagree.  What are your thoughts?

DeAnn R 
    Keymaster

I’ve heard Indiana will become the fourth state to adopt infant screening for SMA.  Anyone know the other 3 states?

Kevin Schaefer 
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing DeAnn. I agree that newborn screenings are a crucial advancement in the medical world today.

I believe North Carolina has already adopted newborn screenings, or is in the process of doing so. This is definitely an important discussion in the SMA community today.

DeAnn R 
    Keymaster

Minnesota started screening infants on 3/5/2018.  Progress!

Yan Bros 
    Participant

No progress in Switzerland. No any newborn screening to date.

Kevin Schaefer 
      Keymaster

Hi Yan, thanks for joining the discussion.

Hopefully Switzerland will start newborn screenings soon enough. Keep us posted!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

©2018 KLEO Template a premium and multipurpose theme from Seventh Queen

or

or    

Forgot your details?

or

Create Account