SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Using Trays with Wheelchairs

• Using Trays with Wheelchairs

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 14, 2018 at 7:00 am

Most wheelchairs, especially permobil models, come with an attachable tray. Especially as I’ve gotten older and lost more arm-strength, I’ve become more and more reliant on my tray. I use it for working, reading and just using my phone or iPad. For me it makes things much easier, and I rarely go anywhere without it.

However, I know many other people with SMA and other disabilities who never use their trays. For those of you who don’t use your tray, do you use a different kind of adaptive equipment? Certainly do what works best for you, but I was just curious.

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • deann-r

September 14, 2018 at 10:16 am

Honestly I hated using a tray.  I used one throughout middle school and ditched it the instant I got off the bus.  Didn’t use it in Sr. High.  For me it felt my mobility was restricted.  Funny, you find the opposite.  That’s what’s great though, everyone finds what works for them.  It’s nice to see what works for other people in case it would be something that would work for you.

• kevin-schaefer

September 14, 2018 at 10:21 am

So there are times when it is restrictive, but for the most part I use it like a desk. For instance, I need it to prop my phone. Otherwise I’d have to rely on other people to type on it for me.

Are you able to hold things like your phone when you’re on the go? For me I just don’t have enough arm strength.

• deann-r

September 14, 2018 at 10:41 am

Most of the time I just have my phone on my lap.  I am looking for a holder for it, just not sure yet what I want yet that would work for me.  For a tablet I do need to use a table.  Recently I acquired a cute hospital type table.  Since it has wheels it’s pretty easy to move it around.

• kevin-schaefer

September 14, 2018 at 10:48 am

Yeah I’ve seen a lot of SMA people just put their phones on their laps as well. I’ve tried that but it doesn’t work. I can’t keep my phone steady there, and I don’t have enough flexibility to move my hand back and forth to my joystick. That table sounds cool.

• ryan-berhar-2

September 14, 2018 at 11:22 pm

The only time a tray is helpful for me is writing—something I never do anymore. When it comes to using my phone, or really anything else, I find it restrictive.