SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA Wearing a mask with your caregivers

• Wearing a mask with your caregivers

Posted by alyssa-silva on November 18, 2020 at 11:00 am

My caregiver situation has been… sparse… this year due to the state of the world. In some ways I’m very fortunate to have my parents who have taken over in the interim to ensure my health and safety. But, it has taken a toll. And with the pandemic not going anywhere anytime soon, it’s time we reevaluate things.

In the summer, I had help about twice a week. They had to wear masks and increase handwashing. Numbers were very low here, so we weren’t overly concerned. Now that we’re in a second wave, we’re a little more cautious than before.

This brings me to my ask. Do you wear a mask when your caregivers are working? I’m wondering if I should do the same. I haven’t left the house in a month (sadly) so I know I’m germ-free. It’d be more of an added protection for me. I would love to hear your input!

lupa-f replied 3 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • lupa-f

November 18, 2020 at 11:54 pm

If you want to wear a mask to protect yourself, get one designed for that, one with filters, not the generic hospital or cloth masks which are more for protecting others if you’re sick. The guidance for masks has always been about protecting others from you, not you from others. But for those who absolutely know we’re not infected that guidance doesn’t make much sense.