SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Weddings and Bachelor/Bachelorette Parties

• Weddings and Bachelor/Bachelorette Parties

Posted by kevin-schaefer on January 28, 2019 at 11:00 am

My brother’s getting married this summer, and I’m one of the groomsmen. This is my second time being a groomsman, with the other being for my sister and brother-in-law’s wedding in 2012. We did a bachelor’s party then as well, but it was really low-key. Basically all of the groomsmen just hung out at a dine-in movie theater, and then a bowling alley afterwards.

My brother’s party though will be a full weekend. It’s local, but it includes a concert, a ball game, bar-hopping, and steakhouse dinners. Logistically, I won’t be able to do everything, but his friends who are planning it have been great about including me in every conversation and making it so that I can do as much as possible. I’m planning on riding with my brother-in-law, and still making it to most of the events that weekend. I’m also really glad it’s local. I know it’s a trend now to go to places like Nashville for bachelor and bachelorette parties.

Has anyone here been to a bachelor or bachelorette party? How was the experience? I’m looking forward to it.

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 2 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

January 28, 2019 at 8:43 pm

As I think I mentioned here before, I’m going to be the best man in my cousin’s wedding this summer. I’ve only been to two weddings that I can remember, and they were both ages ago, so I don’t have much experience. I’m really excited though. I haven’t heard anything about a bachelor party, but it’ll probably be some redneck activity like branding cows haha

• deann-r

January 28, 2019 at 9:03 pm

Hate to break it to you Ryan, but if you’re the best man I do believe you’re responsible for planning the bachelor party.

• kevin-schaefer

January 29, 2019 at 9:29 am

DeAnn is correct haha. Good luck.

• halsey-blocher

January 28, 2019 at 9:30 pm

I’ve been a bridesmaid in a few weddings, but have only been to one party. We just went to dinner at Bandido’s, so it was pretty uneventful but fun. And Ryan, DeAnn is correct. Party planning is the job of the best man or maid of honor.

• ryan-berhar-2

January 28, 2019 at 10:30 pm

The things I learn on the SMA forum. Haha

• deann-r

January 29, 2019 at 10:25 am

Better get planning Ryan, you could make it epic! And no cow branding, lol.

• alyssa-silva

January 29, 2019 at 2:24 pm

I’ve been to two. First one was an overnight bachelorette party in a beach town for my cousin, and my mom came with me. The second one I planned. I was the best man in my brother’s wedding, and we did a big BBQ then rented a party bus for the night. The bus wasn’t accessible, but my friend who was also in the wedding party took care of me while two of my other friends followed behind the bus with my wheelchair in my van lol. As with coordinating any social activity for us goes, there was more in-depth planning and creativity involved, but it all worked out in the end.

• kevin-schaefer

January 29, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Nice! And yes creative solutions like these are always a must. I wrote about the time last year I was at a friend’s wedding, and I used my JACO robotic arm to dance with a girl haha. It got quite the attention.