SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Weekend filled with fun and apparently germs

Tagged: , , ,

• Weekend filled with fun and apparently germs

Posted by deann-r on July 30, 2018 at 9:38 am

During the summer Mom and I take my two nieces on little day trips.  We call it “Field Trip Fridays.” Last week we planned to round out our zoo adventures by going to Chahinkapa Zoo in Wahpeton, ND. The morning we were going I got a text from my niece, “Are you sure it’s accessible?  We’re not going if it’s not.”  After calling to confirm indeed it was accessible.  It was actually pretty nice.  Paths were paved and they had a variety of animals.  The only activity I couldn’t do was ride the carousel, and I was fine with that.

Saturday we spent the morning at the farmers market.  In the afternoon we made our way to a fabric store that’s closing its doors.  We joined our neighbors for a bonfire that evening.  Sunday we brought Roy, my service dog, to the lake for a swim.  It was a gorgeous day for it.

All in all it was a pleasant weekend although somewhere along the way I picked up a germ.  Sunday ended with a sore throat and today it’s turning into a full blown cold.  Crossing my fingers it’ll be mild.  Summer colds are the worst!  How do you avoid germs when you’re out and about?

deann-r replied 5 years, 9 months ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • michael-morale

July 30, 2018 at 9:48 am

The only way to avoid germs is to not breathe. Since we are human, we have to breathe, so to anwser your question, you can’t avoid them.

• kevin-schaefer

July 30, 2018 at 10:03 am

Glad you had fun! But yeah, it sucks that germs are always an issue. Hopefully your cold won’t last.

• michael-morale

July 30, 2018 at 10:11 am

Sorry DeAnn, along with my sarcasm, I meant to say I hope you feel better too.

• ryan-berhar-2

July 30, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Michael, I got a kick out that. Lol. Anyway, I have this rule for myself that I refer to as “reasonable precautions.” Basically, I am way more cautious of germs than the average person. I never spend time with someone I know is sick, I never share food or drinks, I have my caregivers wash before doing anything for me, I avoid handshakes and touching things in general. You get the idea. However, I don’t want to lock myself in a closet covered in sterile drapes, either. I want to go out and do stuff without being paranoid about germs, while still remaining cautious. I have to say that this approach has worked well for me, as I haven’t been sick at all (knock wood) in two years.

• michael-morale

July 30, 2018 at 7:48 pm

You have to be cautious, but you still need to get out and socialize.

• kelly-miller

July 31, 2018 at 3:15 pm

DeAnn, one of my rules is DON’T get too close to a bonfire for too long! I had a severe case of pneumonia one summer when I was with my husband’s family and they decided to have a bonfire at night. I got close because we were roasting marshmallows. Little did I know, the smoke was going right into my lungs & setting up shop to hinder my breathing. It’s not noticeable when it’s actually doing it but you definitely notice a difference the next day. Maybe it’s from laying down to sleep for an extended period of time, keeping the smoke from getting out of there. I don’t know but it was terrible. I have been to one other bonfire that bothered me but I wasn’t as close, so it was a mild cold. It’s possible that that’s what made your throat scratchy etc. You can still enjoy the bonfires, just make sure you don’t get right up front & you turn your back on it periodically while you’re out there.

• deann-r

August 1, 2018 at 10:13 am

Never even considered that Kelly.  I like to be close to the fire because of the warmth.  The smoke always seems to find me though.  Definitely something I’ll keep in mind.

• michael-morale

August 1, 2018 at 11:04 am

I hope your feeling better today DeAnn.

• deann-r

August 1, 2018 at 12:31 pm

Thanks Michael.  Still feeling pretty punk, but I think I’m on the upswing.  Amazing how much mucus a person can generate.  If it was a commodity I’d be a wealthy person.

• kevin-schaefer

August 1, 2018 at 1:30 pm

Glad you’re on the upswing, but yeah colds and congestion are never fun. Hope you make a full recovery soon!

• adnan-hafizovic

August 3, 2018 at 8:59 am

DeAnn the biggest protection from germs is healthy food,vegetables,fruits and all kind of vitamins pills.All I use and for example last winter I haven t been cold.And if you feel cold take some warm clothes.

• michael-morale

August 3, 2018 at 9:09 am

My brother uses a vegetable wash on all of the vegetables that he buys at the store. He says that this really helps. What are your thoughts?

• adnan-hafizovic

August 3, 2018 at 12:38 pm

of course every vegetables and fruits need to wash or  peel it.No matter if we eat it raw or boiled.

• deann-r

August 3, 2018 at 9:18 pm

I’m actually on a feeding tube, but making my own blend has crossed my mind.