SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA What Childhood Games Did You Play? Were They Inclusive?

• What Childhood Games Did You Play? Were They Inclusive?

Posted by deann-r on February 3, 2023 at 10:00 am

In Minnesota we have a childhood game we refer to as Duck Duck Gray Duck. In other parts of the country, I think it’s called Duck Duck Goose. You’re familiar, right? It got me thinking about how much I hated most childhood games. Tag, dodgeball and even hide & seek were a challenge.

Are there any games you enjoyed playing as a kid? Are there any adaptations you made to make games equitable and fun?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

February 3, 2023 at 1:37 pm

I remember always having a buddy to help out with games that I couldn’t fully participate in like softball or dodgeball. I remember one time we played basketball for a week which I obviously couldn’t participate in. So they asked me to be the ref and I had so much fun haha. They gave me a whistle and I got to boss people around if they were double dribbling or traveling. I had too much power. It was great.

• deann-r

February 6, 2023 at 10:32 am

Nope, I wouldn’t like being ref. I can see how it would build confidence though.

• alyssa-silva

February 6, 2023 at 8:17 pm

I always wanted to be in charge as a little kid. I feel like it probably had something to do with not always being in control of my body that I’d make up for it in other ways. Of course, I didn’t know this then. But looking back it makes sense.