SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA What do you guys do for dealing with depression?

• What do you guys do for dealing with depression?

Posted by matthew on February 25, 2024 at 4:14 pm

It doesn’t have to be depression but struggles with dealing with having SMA and all that includes? I no longer have my job due to my weakness in my arms and mentally the battle has been worse and worse. I know for me it just gets super old being in pain physically/mentally or having to ask my family/friends to help me with embarrassing things that i don’t wanna ask but have to or it wont get done. I lack the motivation to try to do things all i do is sit in my room now dont talk to others but just listen to music or game. Any replies are welcome. Thanks

susana-m replied 1 month, 4 weeks ago 8 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • deann-r

February 26, 2024 at 9:56 am

You’re not alone! Know there’s a whole community here that gets it. For me it’s kind of a seasonal thing. Especially when I’ve been in hibernation mode for months on end. Sometimes I have to force myself to do things just so I don’t get stuck in a rut. Do you connect with other gamers? What do you play? I know there’s a few here in the forums who enjoy that hobby.

Another thing I try to do is focus on what I can do, not dwell on what I can’t. Not always easy when you see people doing what you wish you could. I’m getting to a point where I can be happy for them, but I can be okay doing my own thing. Even if it’s just watching a movie or listening to music. I forget, have you shared what music you like?

Even though I do what I can on my own, needing help is inevitable. When I have to ask for things I make a mental list of who would be the best candidate for the task. I try to spread the “love” so nobody gets burnt out. Some folks I just don’t ask because their attitude rubs me the wrong way. If nobody wants to do it and I can’t do it myself it just doesn’t get done. Most of the time though if it’s important I’ll figure out a way.

There’s also no harm in talking to a professional. At one time Cure SMA provided a program where you could set up a few online therapy sessions. Not sure if they still offer it but something to check into if it’s something you could benefit from.

Sorry about the novel. I can be a bit long winded.

• matthew

February 26, 2024 at 2:22 pm

I listen to all sorts of music except country music. (lil,peep nothing more, tears for fear etc…) As far as games i play. Fortnite, call of duty, hearthstone, league of legends. I don’t really connect with a lot of gamers its hard like i said without motivation i might just have to force myself. Relationships are hard with me. If im having one of my mood swings i just push people away. I would love to find a girlfriend of sorts but again i dont think im stable enough to contain something like that. Its hard for me to show love for those who i envy especially those who take stuff for granted. I appreciate you responding to me!

• kevin-schaefer

February 27, 2024 at 9:32 am

Echoing what DeAnn said, you’re not alone. I too believe community is essential, even when you don’t feel like connecting with others. Gaming communities can be very beneficial.

In terms of work, I think our culture puts too much emphasis on work as inherent to our identity. There’s nothing wrong with prioritizing your health in place of a full-time job. But you can still look for ways to occupy your time in a meaningful way. What other things are you passionate about?

• alyssa-silva

February 27, 2024 at 9:38 am

To echo DeAnn’s sentiments, you are certainly not alone. I go through waves or what you’re explaining. Lots of hills and valleys for me. Right now, being in hibernation mode, I’m in a valley. Winters usually do that to me. I have little to no motivation right now, but I force myself to do things that make me happy or feel connected to the outside world. That’s why I love these forums. Rest assured, those of us here *get it* and are here to support you.

Have you looked into assistive equipment now that your arms have weakened? Perhaps eye gaze technology or voice recognition equipment could help give you more independence.

• kip-troendle

February 27, 2024 at 6:37 pm

Someone very close and special to me, highly encouraged me to get help with depression. So a few years back, I asked my family physician about meds and options I might have. I found any medicine I tried, only made me tired and weakened my muscles. Has anyone found a medicine that works for them?

• Kel

February 28, 2024 at 1:56 pm

I personally love my Lexapro.

• Kel

February 28, 2024 at 1:55 pm

Hello there! So glad that this is being discussed because I suffered with depression for YEARS and SMA made it so much worse. For me, Lexapro really helped and getting into hobbies as well as trying small different things to do! It can be really tough especially in the Winter, but mix things up and don’t be afraid to do new things, you got it!

• blake-watson

February 28, 2024 at 9:01 pm

We have quite a few gamers over in the SMA Chat Discord. Not sure if I’m allowed to drop links in here or not but you can find it by going to the SMA subreddit.

• susana-m

February 29, 2024 at 4:28 pm

I’m just gonna apologize up front, didn’t mean to be so long-winded, but apparently I had a lot to say.

First, don’t dismiss how you feel. The entire world is on fire, politicians are fanning the flames of war with fear and defensive anger, social services are being threatened daily and we’re still dealing with the side effects and isolation of Covid.

It’s a lot.

It’s a lot before we include navigating SMA.

Not having a job or purpose complicates an existing battle about self-worth.

When I’ve been depressed, I isolate myself. I stop connecting with those I love and with activities that I enjoy, in part because of the shame. One more thing that my family needs to deal with that I feel I have no control over.

Deann’s point about focusing on what you can do rather than what you can’t seems deceptively ineffective, but it makes a huge difference.

Going to echo what everyone else has said: you’re not alone.

We get it.

We’re living it right here alongside you.

We don’t have access to the same tools that other people have. We can’t go to the gym, work out and jump start those endorphins in our brains. Time to get creative. Look back and try to see what activities were nourishing and uplifting for you, it’s a little different for each person. Anything that allows you to be proactive will make a difference.

For me, it isn’t one thing, it’s many small things.

Nature; I try to go for a walk every day, vitamin D is good for depression, I meditate by the trees outside. I am mindful about what I eat, high levels of sugar & salt cause inflammation that causes pain. I get acupuncture on regular basis for pain management and a bunch of other medical issues. I also belong to Meetup, an online forum designed to get people off the computer, finding people who have similar interests. Instead of looking for a partner, it might be better to look for new friends

These strategies are all about maintenance, it’s a little different when you’re in crisis. At that point, I found therapy to be so important. During Covid I was in a depressive cycle, decided to get therapy and asked my PCP about medication, we settled on Lexapro. That gave me the bandwidth to deal with the issues that were giving me trouble in the first place.

I know this sounds like a lot, but I wanted to include many different options. Find one or two that make sense for you. I wish there was a silver bullet I really do, there isn’t. There’s a lot of trial and error in figuring out what strategies work for you in particular.