SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA What would make life easier?

• What would make life easier?

Posted by deann-r on April 30, 2020 at 8:00 am

What would make life easier?  Sounds like a simple question, but there are so many facets it’s difficult to answer.  Initially my response to this question when posed on social media was the ability to move things with my mind.  I’m thinking they want more practical responses though.  To answer it I have to take into consideration what already makes my life easier.  From there I can build on that to make my wish list.

I don’t like to dwell on what I can’t do.  Instead I focus on what I can do.  Key items allow me to do what I can.  First and foremost supportive family, friends and staff.  Next removing barriers simplifies life.  Finally I would have to say technology makes life easier, namely my electric wheelchair.  Each category has its own subset of items.  That list is too extensive to start rattling off.

When I find myself struggling with something I go through that list to figure out what will make it easier.  Sometimes its something as simple as asking for assistance or calling a friend for advice.  Other times if I figure out what’s getting in my way, I can change that aspect.  If that doesn’t work I look for technology solutions.

My current wish list includes a service dog, JACO Arm and new wheelchair with added features.  All big asks, so in the short term I’ll settle for a functioning television.  After a week of no television my Alexa enabled TV is scheduled for delivery today.

What would make your life easier?

lupa-f replied 3 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • lupa-f

May 5, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Biggest thing for me would be if medical equipment that you could get was based on what would make things easiest and not just whatever insurance thinks you could scrape by on. Every scooter or chair I’ve gotten has had a seat elevator because without it I couldn’t transfer on my own, yet somehow that’s not medically necessary according to insurance companies and I’ve always had to pay out of pocket for it.