SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Wheelable Shower Chair

• Wheelable Shower Chair

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 10, 2019 at 11:00 am

Happy Friday everyone!

I know I haven’t been as active here this week, as I’ve been on a mini-trip with my parents. I’ll write more about it next week.

I did want to mention that I started using this shower chair for trips: https://www.accessiblebathroomsinc.com/store/WheelAble-Commode-Shower-Chair-p128906084.

The shower chair I have at home works great, but it’s a hassle to travel with. It’s difficult to take apart and put back together, and it doesn’t always roll easily in hotel rooms.

This one folds easily, making it ideal for travel. It also rolls well. The disadvantage is that it’s less comfortable, and the armrests are pretty low. I had a hard time getting adjusted in it, but I got used to it after a few days. Overall, I’d recommend it for traveling, as the convenience of it is superior to other models.

Has anyone here tried this model?

kelly-miller replied 4 years, 11 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • jennifer-lewis

May 10, 2019 at 1:25 pm

It would be nice to have, but daggone… that’s entirely too expensive. When we travel we do a number of things, depending on the circumstances.

• We always get a room with a roll-in shower (if one isn’t available we will do bed baths and go to a hair salon to wash my hair)
    • If the room we are in has a balcony with outdoor furniture, we put a towel on it and use that
    • If there isn’t any furniture we just roll me into the shower with me hanging in the sling
    • kevin-schaefer

May 11, 2019 at 11:24 am

Great tips! I’ve done bed baths as well before, but I of course prefer a roll-in shower. This trip we just went on was an adventure, as the hotel we were supposed to stay in screwed up our reservation and didn’t have any accessible rooms open. It took going to two more hotels before we finally found one that worked.

The price on this one is intimidating for sure. I’ll have to ask my Mom, but I think we got some kind of deal with it. Let me ask her and get back to you.

• ryan-berhar

May 10, 2019 at 9:46 pm

Looks ideal for transporting, but it doesn’t look very supportive. I need headrest and lateral pads.

• kevin-schaefer

May 11, 2019 at 11:26 am

I understand. I ended up putting some pillows behind me and on my left side, and that was sufficient. It’s definitely not that comfortable, but it’s more convenient for travel.

• greg-sealey

May 10, 2019 at 9:46 pm

I have not seen that one before.  But, based on the picture, it is definitely aesthetically pleasing.  The large wheels may make it difficult to negotiate tight spaces. I have used the Invacare Mariner Shower Chair for many years. It folds up easily and travels well. http://www.invacare.com/cgi-bin/imhqprd/inv_catalog/prod_cat_detail.jsp?s=0&prodID=6891&catOID=-536885317

• kevin-schaefer

May 11, 2019 at 11:26 am

Thanks Greg! I’ll look into this one as well.

• deann-r

May 11, 2019 at 8:04 am

Curious Kevin, did insurance pay for it? I am in the market for a new shower chair, so interested to see options.

• kevin-schaefer

May 11, 2019 at 11:27 am

I think we got some kind of deal with it. Let me ask my Mom and get back to you.

• kelly-miller

May 14, 2019 at 8:41 pm

This one is the one I use at home & when we go somewhere. It’s not foldable (except the leg/foot rests come off), but it wheels very nicely & you can get laterals or anything else you need on it. The seat is kind of hard & uncomfortable, but I got a gel overlay for it, & it’s much softer. Don’t go into shock when you see the price tag – insurance paid for it. I have Medicare + BCBS supplement and I didn’t have to pay anything. Check it out: https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-clarke-aquatec-ocean-vip-tilt-in-space-shower-commode-chair.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzunmBRDsARIsAGrt4mvu-bJhX5GTmfMaYYHXucip55kD0VZRWXk9qzWx1hU5sMpCkuKrp5YaAm_YEALw_wcB

I have my eye on this one when I get my next. It’s made by Duralife. They have different versions, but what I like about this is you can make the legs shorter or longer to either take a bath or take a shower. Do you know how long it’s been since I have been able to take a bath??? Something like 29 yrs! It would feel so good to soak in the tub without my head having to be flat on the bottom of the tub & water going in my ears. It also can be accessorized with armrests, wheels, leg supports, etc. AND it’s way cheaper than the other one. Unfortunately, they weren’t making this when I got the Aquatec. I also had a pushy salesperson who got some sort of payoff from Aquatec I’m sure!
    Check it out: https://www.healthproductsforyou.com/p-duralife-tilt-in-space-bath-chair.html