SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Wildfires in North America: Checking In

• Wildfires in North America: Checking In

Posted by alyssa-silva on July 29, 2021 at 11:00 am

I live in New England, and the other day there was a thick haze outside my window. I didn’t think much of it as it was humid that day. But when I went outside, all I could smell was smoke. Within ten minutes, I was having trouble breathing.

Turns out, it was smoke from the Canadian fires— over 1,000 miles away— that made its way over here. I couldn’t believe it. I never imagined that something so far away could still affect me. I mean, I know my lung capacity is crap. But still.

It really got me thinking about everyone that is being directly affected by these wildfires out west. My heart goes out to you.

Wherever you are on the map, how are you? Are the fires affecting you somehow? Feel free to vent here.

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

July 29, 2021 at 11:24 am

I think the wind shifted because we now have that haze you referred to. Smells like a campfire too. Like you said I can’t imagine being any closer to the fires.

• dennis-turner

July 29, 2021 at 1:56 pm

It is worse than that, it is coming all the way from California.  With all the rain we in New England have had this year, the West Coast is in a historic drought.

I am thankful that my breathing has not been effected.

Praying for those caught in proximity to these fires.

• alyssa-silva

July 29, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Yeah, we’re getting the smoke from the California fires too. The most recent one was from the Manitoba fires according to the meteorologists. So devastating.