• Will ZOLGENSMA Be Right For Me?

Posted by michael-morale on May 3, 2019 at 8:35 am

With the possibility of ZOLGENSMA being approved in the not so distant future, a lot of us that are on active treatment with Spinraza, are wondering if ZOLGENSMA is going to be right for us. While it may only be available to infants at the beginning, I truly believe that those of us that are adults, will eventually have access to this potential treatment.

The next question that you are probably asking yourself is when? This is a question that has to be answered by medical professionals and researchers, but I have a hard time believing that AveXis would only include infants in their long-term treatment plans. With the amount of adults that are on active treatment with Spinraza, my gut instincts are telling me that this will also become available to adults. It may be by the end of this year, or even some time in 2020, but I do believe that we as adults will see this treatment available to all of us, no matter our age.

Since ZOLGENSMA hasn’t been passed by the FDA as of yet, information about this potential treatment is limited at best. Your doctors may know what ZOLGENSMA is, but they may not have all of the information that they can pass along to their patients. The time between when the FDA starts the approval process, to when this treatment could actually be available, could take months. AveXis was given priority review status on ZOLGENSMA, and Biogen was given fast-track status on Spinraza. Essentially, priority review status and fast-track status are the same. Biogen was given fast-track status because Spinraza is cellular based, and AveXis was given priority review status because their potential treatment is classified as a gene-based treatment.

Question #1: Have you talked to your doctor about ZOLGENSMA?

Question #2: If you haven’t talked to your doctor yet, why?

michael-morale replied 4 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.