SMA News Forums Forums Awareness and Advocacy Raising Awareness of SMA Writer with SMA Publishes Book on Living with a Disability

• Writer with SMA Publishes Book on Living with a Disability

Posted by brianna-albers on July 2, 2018 at 5:41 pm

You’re probably familiar with some of the books that have been written by people with spinal muscular atrophy (SMA). Last September, SMA News Today columnist Kevin Schaefer listed four books by people with SMA. Many other books have been published on SMA, especially with the advent of self-publishing and the ease with which authors can get their stories out there.

It’s One of Them!: Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy, published in 2014 by AuthorHouse, is one such book. It’s One of Them!: Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy, written by Grace Saunders, is a recounting of her life and that of her brother, Ben, who was diagnosed with SMA type III. Saunders herself was diagnosed with SMA type II at a young age.

It’s One of Them!: Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy details Saunders’ experiences with online dating, single motherhood, and more. It’s One of Them!: Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy also explores the intersection of disability with domestic violence, drug abuse, murder, and the police investigation known as Operation Ore. Underlying Saunders’ struggles and triumphs is the death of her 30-year-old brother and the birth of her daughter, whose delivery and subsequent health defied the expectations of Saunders’ doctors.

In an interview with Disability Horizons, Saunders calls herself an ordinary, middle-aged woman with a story to tell: “[hopefully] it will help others, whether they have children with my disability, or if they suffer from the same condition as me, or indeed have been through the traumas I have–I think there’s something here for a lot of people.”

You can buy It’s One of Them!: Living with Spinal Muscular Atrophy on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and AuthorHouse. If you’re interested in connecting with Saunders and her readers, be sure to check out the Facebook page for her book.

Have you self-published your story, or do you know someone with SMA who has? Let us know in the comments below!

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

July 3, 2018 at 10:54 am

That’s awesome! I’ll definitely check this one out.

• kevin-schaefer

July 5, 2018 at 12:14 pm

Hey Brianna I started reading this one last night. Thanks for the recommendation! I especially like what she has to say about giving her parents a break and managing an independent lifestyle.