SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology You know you need a new chair when…

• You know you need a new chair when…

Posted by deann-r on June 4, 2020 at 7:00 am

parts from your wheelchair fall off in the yard.  I’ve been contemplating starting the process for a new chair for over a year.  Because this is the best chair I’ve ever had it’s hard for me to take the plunge.  Driving through the yard I heard something fall to the ground.  I turned around and saw a giant washer resulting from a broken shock.  Because my wheelchair still runs I wasn’t too concerned.  My wheelchair guy confirmed our suspicion and ordered the part.  With other creeks and squeaks constant in my chair I’m wondering if it’s time.

I’d like to hear from you.  You know you need a new wheelchair when…

alyssa-silva replied 3 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • even

June 4, 2020 at 7:29 am

Here in norway from my experience they government decide since we get it for free. Normally when the chair it out on warranty (3 years) and if it then need a “bigger” repair they say that it will be replaced with a new one. We get 3 types of wheelchair (manual, indoor electric and outdoor electric).  So for me its new soon time to replace the indoor electric. Types of char i use is Balder finesse as “indoor electric” and Permobil x850 as “outdoor electric”,  the manual is just a random frame fitted with ⁣e-motion wheels. I think i have had all if them replaced twice in my “wheelchair career”.

• dennis-turner

June 4, 2020 at 10:08 am

REPLACE!

• alyssa-silva

June 4, 2020 at 11:16 am

I hear what you’re saying DeAnn. I don’t mind my new wheelchair but I miss my old one. Simply due to comfort level. I had it for 10 years, so it was very broken into which I liked. But to answer your question—

You know you need a new wheelchair when the battery begins to not hold a charge as well.

This was how I knew it was time. Being stranded is NOT fun lol.

• survivinglife

June 4, 2020 at 4:56 pm

OMG DeAnn! You should definitely get a new chair soon! Getting a new chair has always been a very long and frustrating process for me so I wouldn’t put it off. That said I love my chair that I’ve had since I was 5 years old so much that I still use it almost everyday for exercising and playing games. But for me, you know you need a new chair when you are having trouble sitting up in the one you have. I love my old chair cuz it’s comfortable and I can move around pretty well on my own in it, but I have a hard time sitting up in it. And I’m sure you all know how important posture is when you have scoliosis and bad lungs. Plus, I feel safer in my new chair cuz it straps me in. I know I won’t fall even if we hit a bad bump or I drop my head or I’m feeling dizzy for some reason. I also agree with what Alyssa said about the battery. I had that problem too.

• halsey-blocher

June 4, 2020 at 9:35 pm

When it breaks down while simply driving across the living room. I started having that problem towards the end with my last chair. Fortunately, I already had a new ordered and on the way. It was becoming a serious problem that made leaving the house hazardous. I never knew when it was going to suddenly die. I can also understand putting it off. I tend to do that as well. Parting with an old chair is bittersweet, and it takes time to get the knee one exactly how you want it. My current chair is the best one I’ve had and I dread the day when I will inevitably have to replace it.

• alyssa-silva

June 5, 2020 at 9:45 am

To add to Halsey’s comment, one time my wheelchair broke down in Target and an employee had to push me and my heavy chair out to the car. The poor guy. He was SWEATING by the time we got to the doors at the opposite end of the store. That’s when I knew… it was time for a new chair.

• deann-r

June 5, 2020 at 9:55 am

Thanks everyone!  Pretty much for all the reasons you listed, I think it’s about time.  I might hold off till fall though.

Even, 3 years is pretty good.  In America it varies, but typically it’s 5 years unless there are extenuating circumstances like safety issues.  We can choose 1 type of chair.  I tried to get a manual chair for backup & travel, but it’s not allowed unless I purchase privately.

• halsey-blocher

June 5, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Alyssa, that’s nothing! One time  mine broke down at the bottom of a very large hill while on vacation. My family had to take turns pushing it back up the hill to the hotel.

• alyssa-silva

June 8, 2020 at 11:45 am

Oh my goodness! Haha I’m sure that was quite the vacation story to take back with you. 🙂