SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Yuletide Greetings and Nostalgic Feelings

• deann-r

December 9, 2018 at 9:08 am

I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling this way.  Like Alyssa I consider myself a creative person.  We just dug out decorations that there is no possible way I could create today.  Even though it evokes a little sadness it also gives me a sense of accomplishment like, “Wow, I made that.”  When my nieces were babies I made them elaborate stockings.  No way I could do that now, but I’m sure glad I did it when I had the ability to do so.  Now they have a keepsake for years to come.

As you said retaining our passions is important.  Even though I can’t do what I used to, my hobbies have evolved as my disability progressed.  Even though the holidays can be a reminder of what I can’t do anymore, I don’t dwell on it and do what I can.  I also appreciate what other people create.

• kevin-schaefer

December 9, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Absolutely. I can’t draw anymore, but I write comic scripts and record podcasts. My passion for creativity and pop-culture never went away just because I lost a lot of physical abilities. If anything, it evolved.