SMA News Forums Forums Treatments and Research COVID-19 and SMA About my year-long homebound anniversary

• About my year-long homebound anniversary

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 25, 2021 at 11:00 am

I realized the other day that I have been home for over a YEAR. How did this even happen?!

Well, we know how it happened, but I still never predicted that I would be in the place I am today.

This week, I’ll be writing a column all about how I’ve been homebound for over a year. I remember the days when my van would be in the shop for a few days, and I’d mope around the house feeling sorry for myself that I couldn’t leave. Now, I have to laugh. Needless to say, this year has been a humbling experience, for sure. And while I think I’ve acclimated to this new lifestyle, I can’t say I enjoy it.

Of course, I have gone to appointments, sat outside, and gone on walks in the last year. But this is nothing to the life I once had. I miss it, but I am managing.

Has anyone else been living the quarantined life for over a year as well? How do you feel about it?

kevin-schaefer replied 3 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • deann-r

January 27, 2021 at 10:08 am

Absolutely! I really haven’t been anywhere notable except to get my service dog in the last year.
    Since I’ve had COVID and am in the vaccination process I’m trying to be a little more adventurous. It’s tough though. Still so much uncertainty. My sister knows I’m letting my guard down a little and asked if Mom & I would be comfortable going to a restaurant on her birthday in February. I probably looked at her like she was insane & said no immediately. To me making a quick loop around a store that requires masks is a little different than a sit down meal. She might not see it that way though.

• alyssa-silva

January 27, 2021 at 11:49 am

I totally get what you’re saying. Once I’m vaccinated, I plan to continue playing it safe as more data about the vaccine’s effectiveness is released. However, I think I’d be comfortable with having friends over who have also been vaccinated. Right now, we’re not allowing anyone inside the house, but many of my friends are healthcare workers and have already had both shots. Knowing they’re careful and being in a controlled setting where we can ensure masks are worn and social distancing protocols are being followed on top of me being vaccinated seems pretty safe to me. I guess we’ll see!!

• kelly-miller

January 29, 2021 at 10:46 pm

I’ve pretty much been in for the yr as well, with the only visitors being my dad (who’s super paranoid about getting Covid, so I don’t worry about him) and one of my bestie SMA friends with her parents. My favorite aunt won’t even come to visit, and that one’s killing me. Pre-Pandemic, my husband & I were out to eat almost every night. Now, it’s just takeout from all around us. I feel like this hermit lifestyle has changed my view of the World, not to mention my personality. The outgoing, social-butterfly is in some kind of cocoon, and I’m not sure I’m going to easily come out. It seems so scary out there right now, between the Virus, people arguing about wearing masks, and crazies wanting to fight about politics, I’m anxious about leaving my house. The whole thing has me vacillating between feeling content with the coziness of my cave and sadness for the loss of my former self.

• alyssa-silva

January 30, 2021 at 9:56 am

This is exactly how I’m feeling as well. Ugh. Hang in there.

• kevin-schaefer

January 31, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Ugh, I feel this too, and I wrote about it for my next column as well. I’m fortunate to still be able to go to my aqua therapy appointments and see a couple of close friends, but there have been so many days in the past year when I’ve been mentally and emotionally exhausted. Just kind of taking it day by day.

Like DeAnn mentioned the other day, the Cure SMA virtual socials and events have been really helpful, along with video chats with friends.