SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Acquiring a Hospital Bed

• Acquiring a Hospital Bed

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 25, 2018 at 1:00 pm

I know from experience that it can be difficult to get comfortable in bed with SMA. Having to rely on other people to adjust you makes getting into the right position quite the challenge, and a standard bed makes it even harder.

I’ve used a hospital bed for years, and it definitely helps me get more comfortable and sleep better at night. I’ve had sleep apnea, respiratory issues and a myriad of other problems that have affected my sleep over the years. Having a hospital bed however does help significantly, as I can adjust positions during the night.

This site is a good resource for finding the right hospital bed for you: Express Hospital Beds

What about you all? Do any of you use hospital beds? If so, what kind of model do you have? Also, feel free to ask questions here as well.

deann-r replied 5 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

May 25, 2018 at 4:28 pm

I have a hospital bed at my grandmas house (I’m there three nights a week) and a regular bed at my house (I’m there four nights a week). I don’t sleep any better on the hospital bed, but that’s just me. I don’t have much use for it. For me the important part is the foam egg crate.

• adnan-hafizovic

May 30, 2018 at 6:25 am

I dont use hospital bed,but maybe I ll use the in future.By hospital beds is big advantage that you can with remote controler raise itself from lying postion to sitting.

• deann-r

May 30, 2018 at 12:40 pm

When I first got a hospital bed I never even used the functions.  After I was sick one time the doctor suggested I sleep on an incline.  I still question the medical advice, but I do sleep on an incline, so it’s come in handy.