SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Activities During Hibernation Season

• Activities During Hibernation Season

Posted by kevin-schaefer on November 3, 2018 at 8:00 am

This time of the year is basically hibernation season for a lot of people with SMA. Especially during winter, it’s hard for most of us to be outside for large periods of time without our hands freezing up.

If I know I’m going to be inside more than usual, I spend a lot more time writing than any other time of the year. I’m currently working on a novel for NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, an annual writing contest), and that’s taking up a lot of my time outside work. I can also go to places like the Barnes & Noble right by my house if I need to get out.

Do any of you have any favorite activities to keep yourselves occupied during this time of the year?

kevin-schaefer replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • michael-morale

November 4, 2018 at 2:11 pm

I’m exactly like you Kevin, if I’m outside too much during the wintertime, my hands tend to freeze up and it even makes it difficult for me to drive my electric wheelchair. When I go to therapy in the wintertime, I sit with the heater blowing on my hands the entire way there. I feel sorry for others who are in the van because I know I’m smoking them out given the amount of heat that I’m using, but even getting out of the van and going in to the therapy center is difficult if my hands are not already super warm. After therapy, I sit with a warm towel on my hands before I leave the building to go out to my van.

Usually, in the wintertime, I’m like you with regards to spending much of the time inside. Working full time for BioNews Services is keeping me busy enough to not go outside, so I can be thankful for that.

• kevin-schaefer

November 4, 2018 at 6:10 pm

I also like using a heater during this time. I keep it next to me while I’m working, and it feels great. It does make my palms a little sweaty, but I’d rather that than for my hands to be too cold.

• michael-morale

November 4, 2018 at 7:36 pm

I’ve got a heater under my desk as well. I turn that thing on in the morning when I come into my office and during the wintertime, it stays on until I go to bed. My caregivers keep their side of the house at 70°, and I keep my side of the house at 73° or 74°. Trust me, it makes for an interesting transition when I go in there to eat lunch. I come out of my warm sanctuary into the refrigerated part of the house and damn near freeze to death before I can get back in my office.

• deann-r

November 5, 2018 at 9:25 am

During the winter months I tend to do a lot of binge watching. I love that you can pretty much watch what you want when you want these days. Since I’m going to ot once I week I take the opportunity to pick up movies from the library too.  If you reserve them online they’re all ready when we stop.  Usually I have a project going while I’m in front of the t.v. so I don’t  I feel like I’m wasting time. I’ve found these awesome card kits so all of the hard stuff is done and in the end I still get a handmade greeting card.

I also use space heaters to keep my feet and hands warm.  I broke down and bumped up my thermostat from 70 to 72.  At night I turn it down, but use a heated mattress pad.

• kevin-schaefer

November 5, 2018 at 2:02 pm

Binge-watching is a beautiful thing. I recommend Haunting of Hill House on Netflix if you haven’t watched that one yet.

And yes, heat pads are great.