• Allergy Medication

Posted by alyssa-silva on May 24, 2021 at 10:52 am

Who here takes over-the-counter medication for allergies? I really have to try and do something about the symptoms I’m having. I’m thinking of starting out with Claritin since it doesn’t cross the blood-brain barrier and won’t cause drowsiness. But I’d love to hear what has worked for you! Anybody else’s allergies kicking their butt this year??

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • kelly-miller

May 25, 2021 at 11:19 am

I use Zyrtec after trying Claritin. I think it’s all a personal preference and whatever works for you best.

• chantell-venter

May 26, 2021 at 2:04 am

I use Texa Allergy Tablets. It doesn’t cause drowsiness and you only need 1 tablet a day. I stay in South Africa so I don’t know if it is available where you are. ‘Texa Allergy Tablets contains 10 mg cetirizine dihydrochloride’ copied from the leaflet for the active ingredient name.

• tammy

May 26, 2021 at 3:25 pm

I use xyzal. It’s over the counter but my insurance pays for the generic prescription form. Some people say it makes them drowsy but it doesn’t do that to me. You are directed to take it in the evening anyway. I like it because it’s 24 hour and only once a day

• alyssa-silva

May 27, 2021 at 3:17 pm

Thank you for these suggestions!

• jeremy

June 18, 2021 at 5:05 pm

Purely anecdotal but between myself and 4 or 5 friends I’ve asked we all prefer Zyrtec (Cetirizine) over Claritin (which did nothing for me) or anything else we’ve tried.  It doesn’t completely alleviate my symptoms but it’s the only thing that’s really seemed to help at all.

• alyssa-silva

June 18, 2021 at 5:10 pm

Interesting that you’re saying this because since the original time of this post, I tried Claritin and it did absolutely nothing for me. My doctor ended up prescribing a med that isn’t OTC, cyproheptadine, and it works well. However, it makes me really drowsy. Even when I take it at night I’m still a little out of it the following day. But, my allergies have been horrendous this year that I figured dealing with the added fatigue is worth it for now.

• jeremy

June 18, 2021 at 6:15 pm

I haven’t personally noticed any drowsiness from the Centirizine but IIRC I have seen it mentioned as a possible side effect.

• alyssa-silva

June 21, 2021 at 10:24 am

Yes, most antihistamines do. And unfortunately, my body is super sensitive to any sort of drug, so the drowsiness hits me really hard.