SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology BiPAP Problems

• BiPAP Problems

Posted by micaela-macdougall on November 28, 2022 at 5:13 pm

So, over the last couple months, I’ve been having more trouble with my BiPAP.  I wake up in the middle of the night with a stuffy nose, unable to get enough air from my BiPAP.  I have to breathe through my mouth to get enough air (and having to change my breathing wakes me up even more) – this increases the pressure from the bipap, which eventually clears out enough space in my nose, so that I can return to breathing through my nose and fall back asleep.  This whole process repeats 5-10 times a night (though it doesn’t happen every single night).  It has been really disrupting my sleep and increasing my daytime fatigue.  But it’s weird because I have no problems at all during the day.  Has this ever happened to any of you, and if so, how did you handle it?

deann-r replied 1 year, 3 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • deann-r

November 29, 2022 at 1:26 pm

Do you have a Pulmonologist? Sounds like maybe some BiPAP settings need tweaking. Many thing could be causing your stuffiness. From lack of humidity to swallowing troubles or even allergies. I know I drool at night and if I don’t sleep on an incline it causes me to get stuffy.

• micaela-macdougall

November 29, 2022 at 7:14 pm

Good suggestions – I was wondering about humidity.  I’ll check in with my pulmonologist, I just wanted to see if anyone here had any good tips.

• yvette-haas

November 30, 2022 at 11:06 am

My first thought was also humidity.

Are you using a heated humidifier?

• micaela-macdougall

November 30, 2022 at 2:28 pm

Not right now, I’m looking into getting a humidifier.

• alyssa-silva

November 30, 2022 at 6:03 pm

A humidifier makes a world of a difference for me! But I agree with DeAnn. You should consult a pulmonologist too. Have you tried changing the mask?

• micaela-macdougall

November 30, 2022 at 6:40 pm

I was emailing with my pulmonologist today, and he suggested a nasal steroid spray… I’ll probably try a humidifier first.

Do you mean changing to a different kind of mask?  My current setup is kind of set in stone to keep my neck comfortable.  But I do change the nasal pillows every two weeks, as frequently as my insurance will let me.

• micaela-macdougall

January 4, 2023 at 9:29 am

Thanks to everyone who suggested a humidifier!  I recently realized I can change the humidity setting on my bipap itself, and that seems to have fixed it.

• deann-r

January 5, 2023 at 10:24 am

Yay!

• alyssa-silva

January 5, 2023 at 9:26 am

That’s awesome!! I don’t think I knew that either. I have a separate humidifier that’s attached to my BiPAP.