SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Class Reunions, Yay or Nay?

• Class Reunions, Yay or Nay?

Posted by deann-r on August 20, 2018 at 3:03 pm

Saturday I found out my 20th class reunion was being held that evening.  For you young pups I’m sure you’ve only had one or two.   Not only it being a little short notice, the cost to attend was $50.  I’m sure that included a meal and couple drinks, but doesn’t do me any good having a feeding tube.  Besides I wasn’t much of a socialite in school.  I wasn’t necessarily picked on, but I wasn’t exactly included either.  There are a couple people I keep in contact with, but college is where I made my most long term friends.  For the last reunion I was on the cannot be found list even though I live in my hometown, still have the same last name and am listed in the phone book.   Go figure.  What was your high school experience like?  Do reunions entice you or do you steer clear?

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • michael-morale

August 20, 2018 at 3:24 pm

DeAnn – Your story is very similar to mine. Like you, I wasn’t much of a social butterfly in high school, and again like you, I gained most of my long-term relationships in college. Next year will be my 35th high school reunion, and other than just seeing a few people that I became friends with and who I still keep in contact with through Facebook, I really have no wants or desires to go to my reunion.

• kevin-schaefer

August 20, 2018 at 3:31 pm

College definitely was the best time for me socially, but I’ve kind of always been an extrovert and had a good high school experience. I was active in theatre, a Christian club, NHS and I had a lot of friends. Still, I definitely formed stronger relationships in college. I keep in touch with a handful of high school friends, but I would go to a reunion to see what everyone is doing.

Do you keep in touch with any college friends? I know it can be tough when everyone is all over the place, but just curious.

• mike-huddleston

August 20, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Wow, very similar high school experience.  I mean, I was not exactly a jock, being diagnosed when I was 16 but knowing “something” was wrong a year or two before, but even not being a jock, it was obvious I was having issues.  The school I attended had three floors, so stairs became a bit of an issue in my junior and senior years.  And kids that age are trying to show off their prowess (impress girls, etc) or whatever it was.  You get pushed around, even when they’re joking, and it was pretty easy to be on my butt in the hallway.  I do stay in touch with a couple of folks via e-mail and actual phone calls, as I dislike Facebook (their security policy was always BS in my opinion), but have never been remotely interested in going to a reunion.  A lot of that may have been as I was declining physically while still ambulatory, I just felt even more socially awkward than I did in high school.  Maybe, and that’s likely a good portion of it, but I’ve never worried about the “why” very much.  But even though my graduating class was rather large at just over 550 students, I wasn’t on the inner circle of any of the normal groups.

• ryan-berhar-2

August 21, 2018 at 3:58 pm

I have only been out of high school for four years. Maybe at the ten-year mark I’ll change my mind, but as of now, I have no interest in attending a reunion. I’m actually writing a column about this now. In high school, I was introverted to the max, so I didn’t form many friendships. There’s no one I’d be interested in seeing.