SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Adapting To a New Diagnosis

• deann-r

October 16, 2019 at 10:06 am

One thing that stood out to me is her remarks regarding the saying if you don’t use it you loose it. I agree, with SMA if you don’t use it you loose it and you can loose it even when you use it. I have noticed though, when I stop doing something because it gets too difficult something else gets more difficult awfully quick. Hopefully I explained that right. That’s why I do as much as I can for as long as I can. With that being said I’m all for tools and technology that allows us to continue doing what we love.

• ryan-berhar

October 16, 2019 at 6:23 pm

I believe this was the case with my left arm/hand. Since I was a little kid, I used it to drive, so it sort of sat there not doing much. Now it’s basically useless. On the other hand (pun intended), my right arm still moves decently, I guess because I’ve used it more.

• halsey-blocher

October 16, 2019 at 9:44 pm

She really is very positive about the whole situation. I’d be an absolute wreck in her position. Especially with things like suddenly not being able to use an arm at all. Glad she’s starting to recover a bit.