SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Columnist Writes About Getting Glam for the Scan

• Columnist Writes About Getting Glam for the Scan

Posted by alyssa-silva on September 27, 2021 at 7:03 am

Recently, I was the best-dressed patient in outpatient radiology at Boston Children’s Hospital. Seriously. What started as a joke on social media turned into me wearing a pretty in pink maxi dress to a dreaded CT scan. And, while veering from my usual yoga pants and t-shirt hospital outfit, I discovered that taking the extra effort to dress up and look good made me, in turn, feel good about the upcoming scan. I never knew that something as simple as the clothes I wear could shift my perspective and lift my spirits when I’m faced with medical challenges. So, I wrote about it here.

I have another appointment this afternoon that I haven’t been looking forward to for some time. I wonder what I’ll wear…

alyssa-silva replied 2 years, 6 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

September 29, 2021 at 10:29 am

That’s awesome Alyssa. I’m sure you looked fabulous! It’s amazing how much an outfit can change your mood.

Sometimes when I dress up or try to look nice I feel like I’m being judged negatively. Almost like people know that I’m on programs and receive services so I shouldn’t have nice things on their dime. I don’t know if that makes sense, and I know I shouldn’t feel that way, but it’s been ingrained in me throughout the years. Maybe that’s a topic for another day though.

• alyssa-silva

September 29, 2021 at 4:29 pm

Yeah, I definitely get what you’re saying. At the same time, though, if someone is judging a person based on the clothes they wear and nothing else, then that’s their problem and not yours. Easier said than believed, though. I’ve definitely had similar thoughts.