SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Combating the Winter Blues

• Combating the Winter Blues

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 13, 2020 at 7:00 am

Here in New England, it was 70 degrees this weekend. If I could, I’d be throwin’ my hands in the air in celebration of that brief Indian summer we had.

Of course, now we’re back to 40-degree highs and snow in the long term forecast.

But in that brief taste of summer, I felt the winter blues lift from my shoulders. I felt more energized, less melancholy, and could actually get outside without the worry of my muscles freezing and being unable to drive my wheelchair— the struggle.

This time of year is always challenging for my mental well-being. Living in a place where the winters are brutal and warm weather often feels fleeting during its season, I’m always looking for advice on how to stay afloat during these next few months.

How do you combat the winter blues?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

January 13, 2020 at 1:06 pm

70 degrees! Okay, I’m just a tad bit jealous. Around this time every year I go a little stir crazy. Last Friday it was a sunny day, so I planned a few errands with my mom. It looked nice but it was COLD. Five degrees or so. Needless to say 5 stops turned into 2. I try to keep busy to stave off the winter doldrums. I have lots of projects going. Getting together with friends can be fun too. Of course as long as they’re willing to come to me and aren’t sick. It’s tough though. Sometimes the only cure for spring fever is spring.

• halsey-blocher

January 13, 2020 at 9:36 pm

The weather here has been nutty lately. It got almost to 60 this weekend, and yesterday it snowed. I’m like you and feel so much better when it gets warmer for even a little bit. I don’t even know how to describe the feeling.

I don’t know if this is a recommendable approach or not, but I throw myself into some type of work. It makes for a really great distraction. (You can only watch so many movies and play so many games on your phone.) In addition to my usual work here, I do a lot for my volunteer work at Turnstone this time of year. We have a massive fundraiser every March, and I’m one of the lead organizers for the raffle and auction. This keeps me pretty busy and gives me something exciting to look forward to. Plus, after it’s over spring will be almost here.