SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 15 of #31DaysofSMA: Living Through the Journey of a King With SMA Type 2

• Day 15 of #31DaysofSMA: Living Through the Journey of a King With SMA Type 2

Posted by kevin-schaefer on August 16, 2022 at 9:00 am

Zarek Elizondo is a 26-year-old living with SMA Type 2. He spent his younger years in and out of hospitals and had a hard time mentally and emotionally. However, he eventually developed a different mindset.

Here’s an excerpt, “As I got older, I started to grasp what SMA was and how it could affect my life long term. By age 13, the demonic words “I can’t” started creeping into my head. One day, I found out the meaning of my name Zarek was Greek for “God protects the king.” It was then that I really started to reflect, and all of a sudden it hit me that I’m blessed. I’m treated like a king every day. I’m dressed and fed by people who truly care for me and want to see me rule the world with love and compassion.”

I think a lot of us have gone through something similar. SMA has a significant impact on our mental and emotional journey. Click here to read Zarek’s full story.

Do you have any takeaways from Zarek’s story?

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • deann-r

August 18, 2022 at 9:14 am

Living like royalty! That’s a new way to look at it for sure. I love the dynamics between Zerek and his brother. They make a pretty awesome team.

• alyssa-silva

August 18, 2022 at 5:26 pm

I agree. It reminds me of the relationship I have with my brother. ???? Like Zarek, I’m very fortunate to have the support from my family as I navigate through life. It truly makes a difference.