SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 23 of #31DaysofSMA: Valuable Lessons From a Self-advocate

• Day 23 of #31DaysofSMA: Valuable Lessons From a Self-advocate

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 24, 2022 at 5:55 pm

In 1968, Steve Mikita was 12 years old and had severe scoliosis. He underwent spinal fusion. Although Steve eventually became an attorney, he learned more about advocacy from his mother than he ever learned during his 39 years as an assistant attorney general.

Steve’s mother reminded him that he was not the only patient and that he had to articulate his needs and concerns succinctly and persuasively. These lessons have remained with Steve for more than 50 years.

“Believe in yourself and in your ability to explain to others what you need and what will make you feel safe and understood.”

Steve, what your mother taught you is a life lesson to us all, thanks for sharing your story with us!

Now back to our SMA community, with doctors, do you find it easy to speak up for your own needs and concerns?

Click here to read the rest of Steve’s story and find out more about his life with SMA.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

deann-r replied 1 year, 8 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

August 24, 2022 at 6:45 pm

So true. My mother always reminds me of the same. I feel as though I have good communication with my team of doctors, but being in a hospital where certain doctors don’t me can be challenging. I’m often advocating for myself while trying to convince doctors I know what I’m talking about. It’s an added stressor when I’m sick, for sure.

• deann-r

August 25, 2022 at 10:50 am

Self-advocacy is so important. Sometimes I have a hard time articulating my needs. For example if I’m not comfortable but don’t know how to fix it. When you’re dealing with people that don’t know you it’s especially difficult too. You typically know yourself best, so I agree it gets easier when you believe in yourself.