SMA News Forums Forums Our Community 31 Days of SMA 2021 31 Days of SMA 2022 Day 25 of #31DaysofSMA: I Became the First ASUCD President With a Physical Disability

• Day 25 of #31DaysofSMA: I Became the First ASUCD President With a Physical Disability

Posted by jessie-madrigal-fletcher on August 26, 2022 at 5:24 pm

Ryan Manriquez is a 22-year-old fifth-year transfer student at the University of California, Davis, double majoring in political science and communication.

In the fall of 2020, Ryan was looking to be a part of something bigger than himself, since he’d always wanted to help others. Long story short, he was elected president of the Associated Students, UC Davis (ASUCD), which represents all 31,000 undergraduate students.

Ryan is the first ASUCD president with a physical disability — and the first transfer student to be president.

“I am forever grateful for the connections I have made with people, even on the other side of the country, I can lean on when I need them most.”

Ryan – or should we say, Mr. President – we salute you!

Now back to our SMA community, what is your dream role?

Click here to read the rest of Ryan’s story and find out more about his life with SMA.

SMA News Today’s 31 Days of SMA campaign will publish one story per day for SMA Awareness Month in August. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more stories like this, using the hashtag #31DaysofSMA, or read the full series.

deann-r replied 1 year, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

August 26, 2022 at 6:00 pm

Wow that’s so cool! Hopefully, in the future, we’ll see him as the first disabled president of the United States. Kudos to you, Ryan. In college, I was too shy to even join a campus organization until my fourth year, never mind be PRESIDENT. ????

• deann-r

August 28, 2022 at 10:10 pm

He’s got my vote!