SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Dealing with the Summer Heat When You Have SMA

• Dealing with the Summer Heat When You Have SMA

Posted by kevin-schaefer on May 26, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I’ve posted before about how summer weather is more conducive to me getting out and spending time with friends than the winter. I try to get out as much as I can during the summer and hang out, walk my dog, go on trips, etc. It makes up for the amount of time I’m cooped up inside during the wintertime.

Nevertheless, there are still problems I have to deal with – the biggest is the heat. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts and articles, I wear an external catheter and sweatpants almost everyday. The catheter makes it easy for me to pee when I’m on the go, and wearing it means I don’t have to transfer in and out of my chair during the day.

The problem is that when it’s hot outside, I much prefer to wear shorts. Wearing shorts means that I can’t wear my catheter, and as such I have to rely on my parents or someone to help me use my urinal. It’s just one of those things I have to do, and sometimes it’s unavoidable. If it’s a hot Saturday and I know I’m going to be out, wearing shorts and packing a urinal in my backpack is sometimes the best option.

I have a few close friends who are comfortable helping me use my urinal if I do run into this situation, and I think it’s good to have a close social circle that is willing to help with personal matters like that. It makes having some independence a lot easier.

What about you all? Do any of you experience similar issues when it comes to dealing with the summer heat? Share your experiences and feel free to ask questions.

adnan-hafizovic replied 5 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • ryan-berhar-2

May 26, 2018 at 2:46 pm

Summer is pretty much the only time I’m not frozen to death. I don’t think I’ve ever been too hot, so it’s not an issue for me. But the catheter thing would be frustrating.

• kevin-schaefer

May 28, 2018 at 3:20 pm

Yeah, it’s a little annoying but I still manage. I usually just set aside a day a week to wear shorts, and either a family member or a close friend can help me with the urinal.

• deann-r

May 26, 2018 at 6:00 pm

Much like Ryan, the heat doesn’t bother me, although sometimes my skin would disagree. I use remedy powder in some areas that are prone to heat rashes from sweaty skin.  Since I don’t like wearing shorts, I can get a little sweaty although I  prefer being warm than cold.

My problem lies in the house temperature.  Whereas I could care less about the A.C., I turn it on so my PCA’s are comfortable.  So then I’m back to being chilly.

• kevin-schaefer

May 28, 2018 at 3:22 pm

Have you ever used a specialized poncho for keeping warm? Those really help me out: https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wheelchair+ponchos&tag=hydsma-20&index=aps&hvadid=174659525460&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4893091488289577871&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9009667&hvtargid=kwd-315186215&ref=pd_sl_20fhgunrxq_b&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0a7YBRDnARIsAJgsF3N_b9d0XYgCkUTfnOJnxbXY-qKhS4y44akOgjib_pVE7-oPUWAqe1IaAqpXEALw_wcB

• adnan-hafizovic

May 30, 2018 at 5:55 am

when is summer  I dont go out until 5 pm.And of course I try to avoid to be on sun.Big problem is that we are sitting all day and sweat between legs.I have friends and cousins who wanna help me when I need to pee.Every hat is good for keeping warm.In Bosnia most old men wear some hat It was funny to me but now I understand him why they wear hats to keeping them for heat

• kevin-schaefer

May 30, 2018 at 9:44 am

I understand the sweat issue. That’s why it makes it harder for me to wear sweatpants during the summer. I still like to get out as much as I can, and it’s certainly better than the winter. Still, the heat and the amount of sweat I accumulate can be a problem.

Do you have a cup-holder or something on your chair where you can keep a water bottle? That helps me.

• deann-r

May 30, 2018 at 12:35 pm

I would wear hats if they were easier to get on and keep on.

• adnan-hafizovic

May 31, 2018 at 6:27 am

Kevin when I drink I drink like a camel,lol,I drinked half of small bottle,just I don t have custom to drink one or two sups.DeAnn try to wear some nice and light hat,maybe will help you.