• Disability Pride Month

Posted by alyssa-silva on July 11, 2022 at 11:00 am

How is it already the 11th and we haven’t talked about Disability Pride Month yet?! For those of you who are unsure, this month is all about fighting against ableism, changing the stigma around disability, and honoring the disability community. I really enjoy the camaraderie within the disabled community during this month and love the chance to explain to others that I can be disabled and still have pride in who I am. Although I try to embody that every month of the year, others don’t feel the same way about their disability. How do you feel about Disability Pride Month or awareness months in general?

alyssa-silva replied 1 year, 9 months ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • robin-miller

July 11, 2022 at 11:39 am

I never knew anything about it. I have been disabled for 25 years and when I go out in public, I have always been made to feel ashamed of myself because of my disabilities. People are so cruel to those who are not like them.

• alyssa-silva

July 13, 2022 at 11:51 am

I’m so sorry, Robin. I have dealt with people like that all my life. They can be so cruel. Please know their opinion has no weight on your value and worth.

• adam

July 12, 2022 at 12:19 am

Never heard of it. A whole month hey? Everyday here seems devoted to a cause with its own colour ribbon so I tune out.

I used to hate International Day of People with Disabilities (or whatever it is) when I worked. Became like a mascot and it felt like people went out of their way to engage in pointless conversation with me.

Personally I think its like a company putting a rainbow in their logo for LGBT – its just an advertising/virtue signalling cash grab that does little to nothing for the cause.

• alyssa-silva

July 13, 2022 at 12:00 pm

I can understand where you’re coming from. Sometimes I question its effectiveness and whether or not these awareness months accomplish anything. Because I’m active on social media, it gives me a good opportunity to post more about disability-related topics and educate my community.

• deann-r

July 13, 2022 at 7:39 pm

Ugh, this is a tough one for me to articulate. Pride to me means something to celebrate. Disability isn’t something I chose and certainly don’t feel like I need to celebrate. On the other hand as the years have gone by I can take pride in how I’ve handled my disability. By accepting who I am, not only can I thrive maybe others can also take note and accept themselves as they are too. So I guess in a nutshell that’s what disability pride means to me.

• alyssa-silva

July 13, 2022 at 9:34 pm

I think you articulated that very well! Makes total sense. I like that perspective. 🙂

• robin-c

July 15, 2022 at 5:07 pm

I saw a similar discussion about “Disability Pride” month in the last couple of years.
    Personally I approach July more as “Disability Awareness” month.

In fact several years ago I wrote a 5-7 minute competition speech (I’m in a public speaking and leadership group called Toastmasters). It was titled “One in Five” and I spoke on how there are visible disabilities but also “invisible” disabilities. Also that age often brings disability- from accidents, strokes, arthritis, etc. No one is guaranteed they won’t become disabled before they die.
    I feel that bringing awareness helps able bodied people gain perspective, and hopefully more acceptance of ability differences.

• alyssa-silva

July 16, 2022 at 12:20 pm

Yes! Raising awareness is just as important, too. I’m sure that was a great speech you made. (Also I’ve heard of Toastmasters before— that’s awesome!) Not many people understand that you can become disabled at any time.