• Do What You Can

Posted by deann-r on August 26, 2021 at 8:00 am

Sometimes having what I consider a significant disability, life in general is little daunting.  We’re inundated with everything we can’t do.  That’s why a motto of mine is, focus on what you can do not on what you can’t.  Even though this is my motto, I have to remind myself of it  every now and then.  It might mean my shirt is a little askew or my lawn isn’t perfect, but I remind myself at least I picked out the shirt and the pretty pot of flowers distracts from the rubble the last thunderstorm left behind.

What I can do may not seem like much, but it can be significant.  Just the other day I gave my caregiver a tip on removing those pesky sticky labels.  If you warm them up with a blow dryer they’re much easier to remove.  If there’s still sticky residue left behind letting peanut butter set on it for a while should do the trick.  Since she never heard of those tidbits of knowledge she’ll carry it with her down the road because of me.  So, even though I can’t remove a sticky label, that doesn’t mean I can’t show someone else how to.

On days when I’m down because it seems like I can’t do anything I remind myself to focus on what I can do.  What can you do?  I’d love to hear about it!  Maybe I’ll learn a thing or two.

blake-watson replied 2 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • blake-watson

August 26, 2021 at 4:48 pm

This is great advice. Sometimes it’s hard to understand the effect you can have on the people and environments around you—even if the effect is huge.

In my specific case, when I’m down about things I tend to throw myself into my projects. If I’m being honest, working on my ongoing side projects is my coping mechanism for almost everything. It’s important to me that I’m able to do that and no matter what else is going on I can usually find comfort there.

• deann-r

August 27, 2021 at 9:52 am

I’m project person too. What types of projects? I assume they involve fonts?!

• blake-watson

August 28, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Usually some sort of website or application. I really enjoy making websites and apps because doing so involves being both creative and systematic. It’s my day job and my personal hobby. I should probably get out more but these things aren’t going to make themselves. ????

What about you, what projects do you work on? I know you do a good bit of SMA News Today stuff.

• deann-r

August 29, 2021 at 8:36 pm

Very cool. Computer science was briefly listed as my major but I quickly learned I couldn’t hack it. So I envy those who do have the talent. I would have no clue how to create an app. How long does that even take?

Other than creating content for SMA News Today I enjoy doing crafts. I like having something to show for my time.

• blake-watson

August 31, 2021 at 1:29 pm

Yeah I’m the same way. I like to see some kind of satisfying end result for my time spent doing anything which is probably why I like making things. I feel that creators of any kind—tech, crafters, makers, writers, artists, etc—are my kindred spirits. ????

> How long does that even take?

In my experience anywhere from an afternoon to a couple of years. ????????