SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you get discouraged when you’re told all that’s wrong with your body?

• Do you get discouraged when you’re told all that’s wrong with your body?

Posted by alyssa-silva on February 20, 2023 at 11:56 am

Last week. I had the easiest spinal tap ever (I’ve had 20-something!) and am still glowing about it. 

Back in October, I had the spinal tap from hell. It took almost 2 ½ hours, and it was excruciating. Even my doctor was so discouraged by what I went through. He explained that my scoliosis inevitably got worse and didn’t know how much longer these spinal taps would work. 

So he sent me to interventional radiology this time around rather than the OR. I guess they have fancier equipment there. The doctor took all sorts of images and a CT scan of my spine. And literally within 5 minutes, he got the needle in the correct spot. It was SO quick and completely painless. 

I was shocked and so relieved by how easy it was. But honestly, what was the most refreshing was that something finally went right with my body. I’m so used to hearing everything that’s wrong with it that it was an absolute breath of fresh air for something actually to work out in my body’s favor. 

Do you get discouraged when you’re told all that’s wrong with your body? Does it make the wins that much sweeter?

tammy replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • tammy

February 21, 2023 at 8:48 pm

This may sound dumb but was wondering what you get spinal taps for? I’ve never had one so forgive my ignorance LOL

• alyssa-silva

February 23, 2023 at 8:57 am

It’s for my Spinraza injections. Glad to see you’re able to post again!!

• deann-r

February 22, 2023 at 10:03 am

Glad it worked better for you going through CT. Will they be doing it that way from now on?

Usually I’m the one who brings it up because I know certain aspects of my physique will make things challenging. But yes, I know the dread when going into a procedure and the elation when it goes better than anticipated. Like the one poke blood draw! Since it rarely happens it’s such a relief when things go right.

• alyssa-silva

February 23, 2023 at 2:42 pm

Ever since I got my feeding tube (and have stayed hydrated as a result), they’ve gotten my veins on the first stick for every blood draw. It’s a bloody miracle. 😉

I’m not sure what my next injection will be like. I want to say that they saved the images so that I can go back to the OR and resume getting them done there. That way the doctor will have the images to guide him. Though I wish it could just be done in interventional radiology moving forward. It was so convenient.

When you took Spinraza, where did you go?

• deann-r

February 23, 2023 at 4:08 pm

Mine were done in IR with CT guidance every time because of my “complicated” spine. They used the lowest dose of radiation to get the images. Half the time it was so fuzzy I don’t know how he knew what he was looking at but he did.

If I know I’m getting my blood drawn I try to hydrate. It’s not easy though. Doesn’t it make you have to pee all the time?

• tammy

February 23, 2023 at 7:26 pm

I had no idea that it even posted LOL. It told me her again. We’ll see what happens with this one. So what does the spinal tap do? You have to get that before getting spinraza? Sorry for the ignorance LOL