SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do You Receive Massage Therapy?

• micaela-macdougall

January 9, 2023 at 1:25 pm

I’ve found a massage therapist I really like who comes to my house every two or three weeks.  She works on my neck, shoulders, arms, legs, and belly, and I’m able to stay in my chair or my bed.  I can’t say for sure how much it helps my muscles, but it feels so good and I’ve realized how psychologically healing it is to experience touch that is pleasant rather than clinical.

• alyssa-silva

January 11, 2023 at 12:04 pm

So so true. I never thought about it from a psychological standpoint before. That’s great that she comes to your house. Was it tough finding an in-home therapist and is it expensive?

• micaela-macdougall

January 11, 2023 at 1:58 pm

I honestly can’t remember how I found her, it was probably through my parents (they seem to know everyone).  Her rate is $80/hour.

• anna

January 10, 2023 at 5:25 am

I hate to be touched because I get injured very easily, but I’ve noticed that massaging the area helps a lot before stretches! Definitely worth a try!

I’m probably a little off-topic, but do you guys wear a mask during PT sessions? I feel that physical exertion makes the mask intolerable!

• alyssa-silva

January 11, 2023 at 12:06 pm

I don’t receive PT, but I imagine that must be difficult. Though I have trouble breathing with a mask to begin with. Does the therapist have a mask on too?

• anna

January 12, 2023 at 4:07 am

I kind of “demanded” that he wore a mask. I don’t know what general practice is, but I doubt his other patients are equally obsessive and high maintenance haha!

If you don’t mind me asking, is it because of Covid that you don’t receive PT or you don’t find it helpful in general? I hate PT more than anything, but I’ve always thought of it as a necessary evil. I often wonder if it’s worth the suffering through…

• alyssa-silva

January 12, 2023 at 8:44 am

To be honest, I dropped the ball on it. I need in-home PT, and we’ve had a lot of issues with insurance denials and therapists actually not wanting to come because my therapy is “maintenance” and I won’t “improve.” My parents stretch me at home.

• anna

January 12, 2023 at 1:06 pm

This is absurd! Maintenance is vital too. Where I live public health care covers up to 8 sessions per month for 6 months per year and still I find it preposterous that I have to pay for the rest. My parents used to stretch me too when I was little and they did a much better job than many therapists I’ve met.

• dennis-turner

January 10, 2023 at 2:57 pm

No I have not. Today however, at my scheduled Neurologist appointment,the attending PT told me she felt I needed to schedule one to release locked miscle groups in my back. So yeah… that might happen.

• alyssa-silva

January 11, 2023 at 12:07 pm

Interesting! Is that something insurance would cover? I think I’m just wishful thinking here.

• dennis-turner

January 12, 2023 at 8:34 am

The PT thought it could be put forth as physical therapy and just add other goals to get it approved . Likely only approved for an evaluation period.

• dennis-turner

January 12, 2023 at 8:37 am

Masks to me are a must! Any medical or personal care person needs to be cautious about spreading illness.