SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Do you set New Year’s resolutions?

• Do you set New Year’s resolutions?

Posted by alyssa-silva on January 3, 2024 at 12:58 pm

Hey, Happy New Year! Hope everyone had a restful and healthful holiday. 

I finally felt some normalcy this holiday season and could celebrate with family. (Everyone was healthy for once!) I also attended Christmas Eve mass for the first time in 4 years. I’ve been going for as long as I can remember, so it has always felt like the kickoff to Christmas for me. Felt good to be back. 

Now it’s a brand new year. And to be honest, I’m not into the idea of setting New Year’s resolutions anymore. I’ve learned that what my body craves after the holidays is rest. So I’ll lean into that for now. I know the goals will come when it feels right. 

Do you set New Year’s resolutions? Does how your body feels play into consideration?

alyssa-silva replied 3 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • tracy-odell

January 4, 2024 at 3:02 pm

Until I was about 21, my numerous New Year’s Resolutions focused on improving my diet and study habits ultimately to find a good job. My resolutions after that focused on advocacy – such as changing the rules that governed my attendant services and para-transportation; and about improving my relationships, with my husband, my children, my boss and the people who reported to me. Now that I’m retired, my resolutions centre on strengthening connections with my hubby, friends and family. But I find I am making more deliberate decisions to spend more time “helping” rather than volunteering“. I will be turning 66 this year and I have SMA 2 (I never walked). My neurologist feels I should expect to have many more birthdays, as long as nothing big (like pneumonia) goes wrong. That good news makes me even more mindful about how to use my remaining time well.

• alyssa-silva

January 6, 2024 at 1:19 pm

These are great resolutions! Though I am only half your age, I’m finding that as I get older my focus and attention goes more towards my loved ones as well.

• deann-r

January 4, 2024 at 6:41 pm

I’m not a resolution maker either. Some years I pick a theme to work on. For example the week between Christmas and New Year was especially trying with a lapse in communication between me and my providers. So, I think my theme this year needs to be “Just go with it.” I’m not throwing in the towel, I’m just tired of fighting tooth and nail for every little thing and having to babysit the progress. I’ll do my part, but beyond that it’s out of my hands.

What does rest look for you? Over the years I’ve gotten better at it, but it’s still a struggle.

Best wishes for a happy healthy 2024!

• alyssa-silva

January 6, 2024 at 1:29 pm

I’ve been working on a more go-with-the-flow attitude in recent years and I’m here to tell you it’s freeing. You’re not throwing in the towel at all. I get it.

Rest these days looks like sleeping in. It’s doing what’s required of me at work and learning to set boundaries. I tend to go above and beyond in everything I do but I try to dial it back at this time of year. It also looks like binge-watching TV and not beating myself up for it and calling myself lazy. My body needs physical rest too, so I like to lay still and not move my arms or talk too much– little things that drain a lot of my energy. Things like that.