SMA News Forums Forums SMA News Today Multimedia SMA News Today’s YouTube Does social media inspire you?

• Does social media inspire you?

Posted by deann-r on April 21, 2023 at 10:00 am

With so much social media presence in our lives, it’s easy to compare ourselves to others. In some cases, it can be overwhelming, especially when you see people doing things beyond your capabilities.

Sometimes though, you can draw inspiration from social media. Mom and I found a project from YouTube that we wanted to tackle. In my latest vlog, you can follow along as we make a solar fountain bird bath.

What inspires you on social media?

deann-r replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • alyssa-silva

April 24, 2023 at 9:49 am

So cool! I love a good DIY project.

I pull a lot of inspiration from social media and use it sparingly. Like you said, it’s easy to compare ourselves to others, and I tend to fall into that trap. But I love watching YouTube videos of people drawing digitally on their iPads or in Photoshop. It always inspires me to draw.

As a content creator, I also pull inspiration from Instagram when I’m trying to curate posts. In that sense, it’s a great tool. I also love connecting with other disabled people on the app. 🙂

• deann-r

April 30, 2023 at 7:48 pm

You really can use social media as a learning tool. Sparingly as you said. Do you have any favorites you follow?

• alyssa-silva

May 1, 2023 at 10:09 am

I think my favorite is Selma Blair. Major girl crush on her. She’s just so awesome. Do you have any favorites?

• blake-watson

May 2, 2023 at 12:22 pm

It’s not strictly social media but I enjoy following you guys (the SMA News Today crew). I know we hate the I-word sometimes but I’m genuinely inspired by my SMA peeps who are publishing articles and videos and creating content in general.

You guys have written some articles and made videos that had me chuckling along knowingly and some that hit me right in the feels. It makes me happy that yall are out there doing you and sharing it with the rest of us.

Sidenote: anyone with SMA who is creating content or is active on social media, hit me with a link so I can check out your stuff! I’m at https://blakewatson.com

• deann-r

May 2, 2023 at 9:08 pm

Thanks Blake! It’s always nice to have cheerleaders in our corner. Ooh, maybe the I-word would be an interesting topic…

• alyssa-silva

May 2, 2023 at 1:54 pm

Aw thanks, Blake. Do you have social media so we can follow you?

I’m @alyssaksilva on Instagram. No Twitter here. Members, let us know your handles so we can follow you too. 🙂

• blake-watson

May 2, 2023 at 4:53 pm

I used to be active-ish on Twitter but after Elon revoked access from third-party apps I switched over to Mastodon. I’m at https://social.lol/@bw if anyone happens to be on Mastodon too.