• Dose 9 a Success!

Posted by deann-r on July 26, 2019 at 10:56 am

If you’ve been following my Spinraza journey you’ll know a couple things. As with many SMAers my blood is difficult to find (unless you’re a mosquito) and I’ve had transportation problems. Luckily neither of these were issues for dose 9.

Having same day labs made me nervous, but she found my blood with one poke! Surprise, surprise the virgin isn’t pregnant. Because my injection is done with CT guidance they want confirmation I’m not “with child.” Although that’s not the only thing they check, that’s why I decided to do same day labs. Otherwise I’d have to get blood drawn twice.

My less than reliable transportation company got the boot. Trying something new is always scary, but in this case it was so worth it. Better maintained vehicles and a great driver. What a relief.

Although the procedure isn’t totally pain free, it’s probably as close to it as I can imagine. Got the brief zing to my toe as the needle got close, but that’s about it. The procedure itself takes 20-30 minutes, followed by an hour of laying flat afterwards (probably the most difficult part.)

A 10 hour day for a 20 minute procedure hardly seems worth is sometimes. But then on the two hour ride home my left hand was twitching and having spasms for a bit. I could just tell it was like my muscles responding to getting messages again after the last dose wearing off. Everyone’s experience is unique, so this isn’t to say this will happen to you. For me it was confirmation that yes, it’s worth it.

rachel-markley replied 4 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • kevin-schaefer

July 26, 2019 at 2:50 pm

Glad it went well!

I definitely know what you mean about wondering if it’s worth it sometimes. You said it well though. Despite the hassle and time commitment, the benefits of this treatment make it well worth it.

• rachel-markley

July 29, 2019 at 8:25 am

Your virgin pregnancy comment made me laugh as I say essentially the same thing for every blog post I write after an injection! The crazy long days are the worst part for me and are made worse because of the fact that I work at the hospital where I’m dosed. I’m requesting for my first maintenance dose that I be allowed to get my IV early and go back later for the procedure.