SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Eliminating Plastic Straws?

• deann-r

July 15, 2018 at 8:49 pm

I have so much to say on this topic.  It may be the subject of an upcoming vlog.  Once again it feels like the disabled community wasn’t given a second thought.  Regardless of the uproar I don’t believe straws will become obsolete, just maybe plastic straws.  As with many aspects of life it’s something that will require adapting to.  The threat of losing plastic straws has justified my hoarding of them.  I just placed an order with Boxed and had to include straws.  I haven’t tried theirs yet, but thought 600 straws for $5 wasn’t bad.  I’ve been purchasing a lot of my consumables from there.  Figure if I hate them I’ll just hang on to them and I’ll have the black market cornered when plastic straws are in short supply.  I’ve also bought from Ikea and Amazon in the past.  Then of course there’s the good ol’ dollar store.  It’s nice to grab an extra covered straw to keep in the car as well.  I also have a collection of reusable straws.  Do you have a favorite type of straw, brand or place to buy?

• kevin-schaefer

July 16, 2018 at 8:44 am

You really should do a vlog about it. That’d be great. It’s absolutely yet another instance in which people with disabilities weren’t even consulted.

I don’t have any particular brand of straws I like, but thanks for the suggestions.

• ryan-berhar-2

July 16, 2018 at 3:23 pm

I’m not too concerned, because like DeAnn said, I doubt straws will become obsolete. I have about 8 billion of them anyway. Lol

• deann-r

July 20, 2018 at 10:03 am

Came across this article.  Great perspective.  https://www.eater.com/2018/7/19/17586742/plastic-straw-ban-disabilities

• kevin-schaefer

July 20, 2018 at 11:31 am

Thanks for sharing this DeAnn. I especially like how this author explains how this issue impacts people with disabilities, and then provides suggestions for reducing the amount of plastic without ignoring the needs of people with disabilities. Great article.