• Embracing Your Body

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 4, 2018 at 7:00 am

In this video (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tN9XGzW1_jk&feature=youtu.be popular SMA blogger Shane Burcaw shares footage of his European trip with his girlfriend Hannah. He also shares at one point a scene of Hannah helping him take a shower in a pretty tight apartment. When Burcaw chose to include this footage, he posted on his Facebook page that it took some courage to show images of him nearly naked.

He wrote about how for the longest time he hated his body, and was embarrassed to go shirtless anywhere in public or think of himself as attractive. He went on to say that this is a flawed mentality perpetuated by stereotypes about what constitutes as “attractive” or “sexy.” He now embraces the fact that his body is different from the average person, and he and Hannah are more than comfortable with it.

Reading Shane’s post, I could definitely relate. I never had trouble making friends or being outgoing, but there were plenty of times when I had a hard time seeing myself as physically attractive. I’m not super-skinny, but I’m not muscular either. I have extra body fat, and it gets to me sometimes.

Over time though my mentality has changed for the better, and I see myself now as physically attractive and confident when it comes to dating. Again, confidence is a big part of dating and relationships, and it’s important for those of us with disabilities to love our abnormal bodies.

What about you all? Do you relate to Shane’s post?

deann-r replied 5 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • adnan-hafizovic

September 4, 2018 at 12:32 pm

Can Shane tell us what used method to seduce so pretty and strong girl,lol.

• ryan-berhar-2

September 4, 2018 at 4:28 pm

For me, this is one of those things that I’ve accepted from day one. One of those things that just sort of “is”. I’ve never been ashamed of my appearance, but I certainly don’t love it, either. Would I change it if I could? Absolutely. But I recognize that I have a broken body that is not impressive in any way, but that doesn’t mean I’m not confident in my appearance. I’m fine with it, because it’s all I’ve ever known, and it’s all I have. I may as well accept it and get used to it. If others can’t see past my physical abnormalities, that’s on them. Hopefully this makes sense.

• kevin-schaefer

September 4, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Yeah, I think that’s what Shane’s getting at here. We’re definitely different, and that’s ok. The important thing is that we’re comfortable with our bodies and appearances. Thanks for sharing.

• deann-r

September 6, 2018 at 9:19 am

It amuses me in this era of selfies how critical people are of themselves.  I have family members who don’t  like getting their picture taken.  Sometimes it can be annoying because if there’s someone who shouldn’t want their picture taken it should be me.  For me I know my life will most likely be cut a little short, and I know the photos will live on.  In my family, oddly enough, I’m the one who will take the time to arrange an album and get it printed.  When I see the enjoyment others get looking through the albums I can look past my flaws.  Hey, it’s also a good reminder to recycle my wardrobe.  I think I still have that top I wore in that picture from 10 years ago.