SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Everyone in a wheelchair must be friends

• Everyone in a wheelchair must be friends

Posted by deann-r on September 5, 2019 at 10:06 am

Kevin wrote about this a while back, but it’s an ongoing issue. Mom and I went for lunch yesterday. We bumped into friends we hadn’t seen in a while. During the conversation he asked how so and so was doing referencing a last name. I knew a lot of people with that last name so I asked which one. He said the boy with CP. Instantly the name clicked and I knew he was referring to the kid I rode the bus with. I haven’t seen him for years. Then he asked about another gal in a wheelchair. Although I bump into her occasionally, we’re really not friends. I get mixed up for her all the time. Why do people think everyone in a wheelchair are bffs? I really did’t know how to respond. Basically I just said I hadn’t seen them. Does it happen to you or is it a small town issue?

halsey-blocher replied 4 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • halsey-blocher

September 5, 2019 at 9:06 pm

I live in a pretty large city and this occasionally happens to me. Every once in a while when I mention Turnstone people say “Oh my cousin’s nephew’s kids goes there! She on the power soccer team! I’m sure you know her!” While I know a lot of people there, it’s an extremely large place and I’m really not involved with the kids department or the athletic programs. Not because they aren’t great, but because the programs I’m in are for adults (because I’m an adult) and I’m just not interested in sports. When this happens, I usually just try to politely remind people that I’m not involved with these programs and so I would only maybe know their name if I heard a staff member mention it.