SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Adults ​With​ ​SMA Experiences with Hotel Accommodations

• Experiences with Hotel Accommodations

Posted by kevin-schaefer on September 15, 2018 at 9:00 am

My parents and I are currently staying at a hotel in light of Hurricane Florence, and I have to say we’ve been fortunate with accommodations this year. We never know until we get to the hotel room how much space it will have and if the bathroom is accessible. A roll-in shower is a must for me, as I’m sure it is for many of us here. If a hotel staff doesn’t meet that accommodation, then we have problems.

I wrote a column about this subject when I went to this year’s Cure SMA conference in Dallas: https://smanewstoday.com/2018/06/19/cure-sma-conference-travels-accessible-hotel-rooms-pretty-suite/?amp. Please excuse the terrible pun in the headline. I was probably drunk when I wrote it.

Fortunately the one we’re staying at currently is great. The staff is friendly, the room has plenty of space, and our room has a roll-in shower. We’re making due just fine, and the storm hasn’t hit our area bad yet. We just couldn’t afford to stay at the house if we lost power, and I’m glad we checked in here.

Do you all look for similar accomodations when you stay at hotels?

ryan-berhar-2 replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

September 15, 2018 at 12:06 pm

A spacious room is always nice to see.  We usually end up rearranging the furniture.  What we have most difficulty with is trouble getting a Hoyer under the bed.  Do you find that issue?  How about sleeping, do you find the bed comfortable enough?

• kevin-schaefer

September 16, 2018 at 10:30 am

So I have a ceiling lift at home, which works great. However, it’s not portable. My Dad and caregiver can both lift me though, so we manage.

And yeah, I bring extra pillows and pads to make sure I’m comfortable enough in the hotel beds. We came home yesterday, but it was a nice stay.

• ryan-berhar-2

September 17, 2018 at 12:08 am

This is the biggest obstacle for me when it comes to traveling. Showering and going number two are two things that are difficult, if not impossible, while traveling. I have encountered very few hotels with roll-in showers, and even if it did have one, we can’t really bring my shower chair on a trip anyway. As DeAnn mentioned beds can also be problematic. I have to bring a foam egg crate.