SMA News Forums Forums Our Community Parents​ ​and​ ​Caregivers​ Family Support During Difficult Times

• deann-r

November 1, 2018 at 9:50 am

Growing up my Mom was my main caregiver when it came to the personal stuff like toileting, getting showered and getting dressed.  Dad did his best to pitch in when he could, but let’s face it he was clueless about personal cares for a girl and I was OK with that.  When Mom was sick or injured, a rare occasion, we usually brought in outside help.  It was good for me to have others care for me now & then because it made the transition to college easier.  Nobody does it like Mom, but we give it our best.

• kevin-schaefer

November 1, 2018 at 10:44 am

I’m fortunate that both of my parents are able to handle my caregiving needs, just in different ways. My Dad can still lift me and as such does a lot of the physical work, but my Mom is better with the logistical stuff and figuring out what equipment to get and such. And yeah, it’s always nerve-wrecking hiring outside help, but that’s good you got an early start. Prior to hiring caregivers, my first real experience with outside help (aside from MDA camp) was when my Mom’s best friend and her boyfriend stayed with me for a weekend while my parents were out of town. That was a little over six years ago.

• ryan-berhar-2

November 1, 2018 at 10:50 pm

Well it’s usually me at the hospital with everyone else having to adjust. But yes, I get the concept. It’s a frustration of mine that I have to put everyone through that.