SMA News Forums Forums Assistive Technology Feeding Tube Clogs

• Feeding Tube Clogs

Posted by brianna-albers on February 22, 2019 at 11:00 am

Have any of you experimented with running smoothies through your feeding tube? I run formula during the night but I’ve heard so many good things about smoothies that I wanted to try it out. It’s definitely boosted my energy levels, and it’s also been keeping my bowel movements regular, so I’d like to keep doing it if possible.

The only issue is that my feeding tube has gotten clogged a few times. I’ve experimented with the recipe and have discovered that coconut water and cucumbers (or any watery fruit, like watermelon) keep the smoothies nice and thin in my blender. But last weekend my mickey actually got plugged! My mom had to pick it out using a safety pin.

Have you guys ever ran smoothies through your G-tube? If so, how did you deal with clogs?

kelly-miller replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • deann-r

February 24, 2019 at 3:20 pm

Unfortunately I don’t have much experience with running anything but formula through my tube. I’ve heard running Coca-Cola through it helps clear a clog, but I’ve never tried it. Good luck!

• brianna-albers

February 28, 2019 at 6:22 pm

I actually heard the same thing! Weird. Thanks though!

• kelly-miller

February 28, 2019 at 7:54 pm

Back when I had the long form of a G-tube, I would get clogs all the time because of my meds. I used to use Coke, and it works like a charm! Just imagine, the same stuff that cleans off your car battery connectors definitely eats thru the clogging of already pulverized greens & fruits. I’ve since stopped using Coke because it bothers my kidneys tremendously. Caffeine is no good for me except in secret bingeing of chocolate.

I haven’t had the same problems with my mic-key, however. I don’t know why it’s any different, but the few times it has acted up, I’ve taken a 60 mL syringe & pushed water thru slowly. This has cleared up the stoppage immediately. Since I can still manually eat & drink whatever I want with caution, I’ve never actually put anything thru my tube that could be ingested by mouth. You’ve given me a good idea for the horrible thought of a kale smoothie – I can reap the benefits but avoid the taste. Thanks Brianna. 😉